Heart Disease Forum

Re: Heart Murmurs and Low Heart Rate

Posted By L Poynter on May 21, 1999 at 15:52:41
I lead a healthy lifestyle with a balanced diet and good exercise - 3 to 4 runs a week, swimming and cycling.
Recently I visited my PCP for a routine visit to be told that I have a heart murmur. In addition I was told that I had a low heart rate (62) and an enlarged heart. I am in the process of arranging an appointment with a cardiologist.
Reading around the topic on the web I get the impression that an enlarged heart is bad news - is that the case or could it be due to my level of exercise ?
Thanks in advance.

Posted By melissa on May 21, 1999 at 18:26:54
I have heard that anywhere from 60-100 is normal for a heart rate in adults.  Is this true.  I don't know all of your smptoms but it sounds like the heart rate is normal.

Posted By shannon on May 22, 1999 at 01:35:47
Most people would be thrilled to have a heart rate of 62.  It's definitely in the normal range for adults.  Also, I know that atheletes sometimes do have slightly enlarged hearts -- my husband is an ultra runner (does 35 to 50 miles races; trains 50 - 70 miles per week) and some of the guys he runs with do have enlarged hearts.  So, likely not too much to worry about -- but you're smart to see a cardiologist to check it out.  It will be interesting to see the CCF doc's response, too.
Shannon

Follow Ups:

Re: Heart Murmurs and Low Heart Rate CCF CARDIO MD-APS 5/28/1999
(0)

Re: Heart Murmurs and Low Heart Rate L Poynter 5/25/1999
(5)

Heart Murmurs and Low Heart Rate sara 5/26/1999
(4)

(2)

Heart Murmurs and Low Heart Rate jack 6/02/1999
(1)

Re: Heart Murmurs and Low Heart Rate CCF CARDIO MD - APS 6/08/1999
(0)

Re: Heart Murmurs and Low Heart Rate L Poynter 5/26/1999
(0)

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.