Heart Disease Forum

Re: Heart Murmurs and Low Heart Rate

Posted By L Poynter on May 21, 1999 at 15:52:41
I lead a healthy lifestyle with a balanced diet and good exercise - 3 to 4 runs a week, swimming and cycling.
Recently I visited my PCP for a routine visit to be told that I have a heart murmur. In addition I was told that I had a low heart rate (62) and an enlarged heart. I am in the process of arranging an appointment with a cardiologist.
Reading around the topic on the web I get the impression that an enlarged heart is bad news - is that the case or could it be due to my level of exercise ?
Thanks in advance.

Posted By CCF CARDIO MD-APS on May 28, 1999 at 14:01:12
Dear Poynter,
Aggressive exercise(like olympic level) can enlarge the heart dimensions, however it does not damage the heart.  Murmurs are blood flow sounds that represent abnormal heart valves and or abnormal connections in the heart (some heart murmurs are innocent), and left untreated over years, they will lead to an enlarged malfunctioning heart.  It sounds like you definitely need an evaluation by the cardiologist with an echocardiogram.  Do not assume bad news until you hear it as such from the opinion of two doctors, and keep in mind that there are a lot of heart therapies today if you should need them.
I hope you find this information useful. Information provided in the heart forum is for general
purposes only. Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free
to write back with additional questions. Good luck.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call
1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at
www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff
that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

Follow Ups:

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.