Heart Disease Forum

Re: Inderal for migraines vs. Toprol XL

Posted By judy on June 02, 1999 at 11:03:48
I have been taking 80 mg. of Inderal every night for about 10 years to help reduce frequency and severity in my migraines.  Recently, for about six months my dr. increased my dosage to 160 mg. every night.  Then I had to change dr.'s due to insurance purposes.  My new dr. took me off of Inderal and put me on 100 mg. of Toprol XL tabs every night.  Was it wise to just stop the Inderal and start the Toprol?  I have been feeling kind of weird but I am not sure if this is the reason. (Feeling weird is no unusal for me).  Should I worry?
Thanks!

Posted By p.s. from judy on June 02, 1999 at 12:40:10
Also, could I have built up a toxicity with the Inderal?  I have always normally had low blood pressure and pulse (averages 90/60).  Being on Inderal all those years didn't seem to make it too dangerously low.  What also baffles me is that, when I get overheated, which takes hardly any exertion whatsoever, my face turns beet red and I suddenly feel extremely hot and have to stop what I am doing and cool down.  When I was in my early 20's and in great shape this would also happen and I wasn't on any meds then.  I know Inderal makes one less tolerable of heat but this is really a problem for me in the summer.  And it is not high blood pressure...what's causing these?  The Inderal or Toprol?
thanks  

Follow Ups:

Inderal for migraines vs. Toprol XL CCF CARDIO MD - DLB 6/02/1999
(0)

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.