Heart Disease Forum

Re: Pulse rate peaks with any movement, etc.

Posted By CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on January 17, 1999 at 10:51:13:

In Reply to: Pulse rate peaks with any movement, etc. posted by Jennifer on January 16, 1999 at 23:41:45:

I would appreciate any help or advice you could give me in relation to what is happening to me.  I am a 23 year old female with no known history of heart problems.  During Christmas time, I began having sharp pressure/pain in the middle of my chest which seemed to travel up to my left clavicle area.  I also had rapid breathing and high pulse rate (about 140).  I honestly felt like it was a heart attack.  At the emergency room, they did an EKG, chest x-rays, CBC, checked cardiac fluids (I think that's what it was called), and all other types of blood tests, all of which came back normal.  
I was told I was dehydration (they told me they knew this from the differences in BP and heart rate while lying, sitting, standing), had something called costochondritis, and that I probably had a few panic attacks along the way.  Since this time, the chest pain comes and goes, not nearly as severely as it was at first.  However, while in the emergency room, the doctors commented that my pulse rate would shoot up just from me sitting up in bed (from around 85 to 130 immediately after the movement and subsides relatively quickly), but didn't say anything else.  Well, it's still occurring.  
Brief relevant medical history: Mid-December I began a 5 day course of Medroxyprogesterone to kick-start my overies since I hadn't had a period in about 3.5 years.  I had been on Depoprovera for 2.5 years and my periods still hadn't resumed after one year off.  Well, these hormones threw me into panics (had not had them before this), hot/cold flashes, hands and feet couldn't get warm, etc.  I began my period on Dec. 26.  I don't know if anything had to do with the other.  The pain et al. had begun during this course as well. I'm 5'2", 150 lbs.
Medicines: I have taken Ambien each night (5mg) for about one year. No birth control pills, was on Phentermine (37.5) for about 4 months this year(ended in late Nov). As of early December, I have eliminated all caffienated drinks and smoke one cigarette a day (yes, one: I used to smoke 1/2 pack per day until Dec).
I apoligize for the length of this, but I want to let you know everything. Is there any reason why my heart rate would shoot up like this after even just standing up or moving?  I also have an internal pain in my left wrist, upper arm, and neck which feels like a mild stab from the inside. Again, I don't see the relation. I would like to resume a walking routine (given up during the holidays), but am afraid to until I know for sure what is happening.  I will end this now, but please ask any questions for things I might have left out.  I really do appreciate the time you're taking with this and other messages in the forum.
Sincerely,
Jennifer
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Jennifer
I suspect that a lot of these changes are due to all the hormonal fluctuations you have been experienced. Also, stopping the phentermine (a good idea) may have contributed to the change in heart rate. The explanations provided by the doctors in the emergency room sounded logical, but you should see an internist for your overall health care. Also, I am not sure why you have been on Ambien for a year; I think it can be reasonable to take a sleeping medication for a short time under certain circumstances, but a year is too long. You should also stop smoking completely; even one cigarette a day is bad for your health.
I hope this has been useful. Feel free to write back with further questions. Good luck.
Information provided here is of a general nature.  Specific diagnoses and treatments can only be made by your doctor.  If you would like to be seen at the Cleveland Clinic, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE for an appointment with a cardiologist at Desk F15.

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.