Heart Disease Forum

Re: tenormin and withdrawal symptoms and/or risks

Posted By dave on June 18, 1999 at 18:04:17
My name is Dave and I am 38 years old and have been diagonosed with mitral valve.  I have been on tenormin for the last 15 years.  Over the last six months I have been winded and unable to get my heart rate much over 70 even while exercising.  Recently I went for a full battery of tests and all was fine with my heart.  I cut my intake of tenormin from 25mg to 12 1/2mg and feel much better(daily dose).  I have the energy that I had lost.  My physician did not want me to cut the dose and I would like to know what side effects I should be on the look out for?  What also is the length of time it takes to ween one off the medication and how should this be done?
Thanks for your help.
Dave

Posted By CCF CARIDO MD - CRC on June 21, 1999 at 09:04:59
Dear Dave,
Thank you for your question. Here is some general information about beta-blockers.  As far as specific advice we recommend following the advice of your physician.
Beta-blockers are used to treat high blood pressure, angina (chest pain), heart attacks, heart rhythm problems such as atrial fibrillation and more recently heart failure.  
Potential side effects include: >10 % mental depression, tiredness, weakness, dizziness
1-10% Bradycardia (slow heart rate), wheezing, irregular heart beat, reduced peripheral circulation, heartburn
<1% Rash, chest pain, constipation, decreased sexual activity, itching, nausea, vomiting, stomach discomfort, insomnia, heart failure, nightmares, confusion, headache, impotence, cold extremities.
Potential drug interactions include:
Increased effect of metoprolol  amiodarone, cimetidine, diltiazem, nifedipine, nicardipine, verapamil, flecainide, hydralazine, MAO inhibitors, quinidine, ciprofloxacin, propafenone, oral contraeptives, fluoxetine, sertraline.
Decreased effect of metoprolol  NSAIDS, salycylates, barbiturates, rifampin, clonidine.
The dosage and frequency depend upon the individuals metabolism and the drug being used.
There are no substitutes to beta-blockers. There are no drugs to counteract the side effects of beta blockers.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

Follow Ups:

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.