Heart Disease Forum

Re: toprol xl

Posted By John Holt on June 23, 1999 at 11:42:37
I'm a 44 year old male, in good health, non-smoker, reasonable weight, but I was just prescribed Toprol XL ( 50mg, twice per day ) after an electrophysiology study to investigate my recent arrhythmia. I have several concerns; will I have to take this medicine the rest of my life? Will it lose effectiveness over time, forcing me to move on to stronger or different drugs? One of the side effects listed is sexual dysfunction...Just what are the odds of my having such trouble and how soon after I begin taking the medicine will I know the verdict? I appreciate any help you can give me. thank you very much. John

Posted By mario on June 23, 1999 at 13:40:34
hi john..firstly the drug you are reffering to belongs to the family of drugs known as beta-blockers. these drugs are used to treat more than one symptom. the most common are angina , irregular heartbeats and high blood pressure. beta blockers work by affecting the response to some nerve impulses in certain parts of the body. they decrease the hearts need for blood and oxygen, reducing the workload.beta blockerstend to decrease blood flow to the skin fingers and toes.for a drug to be able to do all this it may reduce bloodflow somewhere else...reffering to your question.remeber do not stop taking the drug without your dr knowledge. he may remedy the problem by reducing the dose. another important thing when taking this drug is that you must avoid going from a lying position to an upright position in one fast move because yopu might find yourself dizzy and lightheaded. take it easy at first and let you body get used to the drug. if you need any other info you could e-mail me directly.....mario

Follow Ups:

toprol xl CCF CARDIO MD JMF 6/24/1999
(0)

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.