Heart Disease Forum

Restored rhythm

I had one episode of afib 8 months ago, I was hospitalized and had cardioversian to successfully restore rhythm, I have been on a beta blocker and coumadin ever since with no repeat episodes. I wonder if I will have to be on coumadin the rest of my life? I am 77
Prevention of thromboembolic complications of atrial fibrillation is based on a pt's risk score (CHADS2 score).  Congestive heart failure, Hypertension, Age greater than 75, Diabetes, Stroke.  Anything greater than one risk factor requires treatment with coumadin.  Based on your age, I would say that you should stay on coumadin indefinitely because atrial fibrillation is a progressive disease and there will be recurrences in the future.  
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.