Heart Disease Community

SVT/Pregnancy/Labour/Surgery

I am a 29 year old white female.  I was found to have SVT during my first/only pregnancy so far.  I was put on medication dialthezem immediate release 120 4X/day to discourage the episodes which I still had most days from 29 weeks pregnancy until I delivered at 35 weeks.  I went into preterm labour when they found the SVT but managed to stay pregnant on bed rest in the hospital for 6 additional weeks.  I was also diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 29 weeks and was on insulin throughout the rest of the pregnancy.  I was diagnosed with hemochromatosis at age 20 as well.  I am on a waiting list for ablasion surgery because the episodes have not stopped since delivery - I am currently on 360 slow release dialthezem and 25 mg metoprolol 2X/day to control the episodes.  Do you think it is possible that my heart condition caused the pre-term labour?  Are there any other medications I could take instead of the metoprolol as I am having almost all the side effects listed for this drug and the waiting list of surgery is months long!
Heather Watt
hiya i take flecanide for my svt but was on bisoprolol before that, but sad to say after my op 4 months ago my svt's have returned and back on flecanide again now. my side effects are minimal might be worth asking about it. good luck  with op!!!
That's too bad that your condition returned.  I got bumped up on the surgery list because the medications were not controlling the condition for me and am 2 weeks post op.  My cardiologist says that there is only a 5% recurrence rate so hopefully it's gone for good.  I am waiting for an MRI b/c the cardiologist may have spotted an additional anomaly while in there for the SVT.  Good luck with your condition!