Heart Disease Forum

Safety of Cardiolite (Technetium Tc99m Sestamibi)

I was slated to take a "nuclear stress test" with cardiolite (Technetium Tc99m Sestamibi) but grew concerned when they recommened not holding a small child for 24 hours.  I wonder (a) whether this substance can affect males who are trying to father a child (i.e., any relationship to birth defects, etc.) and (b) are there any risks of being near a small child after the test (i..e, can I go near my 1 year old son)?  Thanks!
Dear Mewshaw,

The overall radiation exposure is relatively low. It is theoretically possible for this to affect a male trying to father a child, but again the risk is low. I would recommend avoiding close contact with your 1 year old for the recommended period of time. It may be a good idea to review with your doctor the indications for the stress test and/or consider a stress test using echocardiography which would avoid radiation completely.

Thanks for your question,

CCF-MD-KE
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.