Heart Disease Forum

Second Heart Attack

Please note the following additional information related to my history:
  1. I weigh about 185 lbs and am 5'10" tall;
  2. I quit smoking over 5 years ago;
  3. There is no history of heart disease or coronary artery problems
  in my family.
  Additional question: I would also like to know if I am at increased risk for
  a stroke.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear  Dave,
Topic Area: Heart Attack
Thank you for your question.  Your question highlights an important point - heart attacks do occur in young people.  Risk factors for having a heart attack are genetic, diet related, high blood pressure, smoking, diabetes, and male sex.  It sounds like you are following a good strategy to reduce your risk of further attacks by following a low fat/cholesterol diet and having quit smoking (the best thing you could have done).  In addition you can reduce your risk further by increasing your activity level.  Current guideline call for moderate activity (brisk walk) for 40 min. most days of the week.  Antioxidant vitamins such as E and C may have some effect in reducing risk further.  
a stroke.
Answer: Stroke is caused by the same mechanism as a heart attack but is due to a lack of blood to the brain.  By reducing your risk for heart attack you also reduce your risk for stroke.
Take care of yourself and happy walking ^_^.
Information provided here is for education only.  It is not intended to replace your doctors care.  Only your physician can make specific diagnosis and recommend treatment.  If you would like to be seen at the Cleveland Clinic please call 1-800-CCF-CARE and ask to make an appointment with a cardiologist.

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.