Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Disease Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Side Effects

I had quadruple by-pass surgery March, 2009.  Since then everything I eat taste or smells bad is this normal and if it is how long will it take to go back to normal.
1 Responses
242509 tn?1196926198
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
You may have had an intra operative TIA or stroke that affected the region in your brain which controls  your gustatory sense. I am not sure if this will recover, but I would suggest that you see a neurologist who will probably order an MRI to see the cause of this symptoms. This may not have been related to the surgery and may have occurred separately, so it is important that you obtain his opinion of how to minimize any further events. I suspect that you are taking an aspirin and a cholesterol lowering agent, and these are the best studied agents to decrease further TIAs.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.