Heart Disease Forum

Side effects of meds.

My question is what side effects of tenormin, zestril, and hydrochlorothiazide can cause swelling, sweating, low pulse rate, cough, dry mouth, shortness of breath, and lightheadness?  I take 100mg tenormin, 40mg zestril and 25mg hydrochlorothiazide daily and notice more symptoms each day.  Also my urine is a dark yellow now and I feel tired and with no energy to do things now. I have been on these meds for a long time and still my blood pressure is high.  When does one need to see a cardiologist for hypertension.  My doc wants me to monitor my BP at home for another month and then go from there.  I have a family history of heart disease and diabetes.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
Dear Maria,

Thank you for your question. Here is some general information about potential side effects of your medications.  As far as specific medication advice we recommend following the advice of your physician.

Potential side effects of beta-blockers include: in >10 % of people taking them: mental depression, tiredness, weakness, dizziness
In 1-10% Bradycardia (slow heart rate), wheezing, irregular heart beat, reduced peripheral circulation, heartburn
In <1% Rash, chest pain, constipation, decreased sexual activity, itching, nausea, vomiting, stomach discomfort, insomnia, heart failure, nightmares, confusion, headache, impotence, cold extremities.

Potential side effects of zestril include cough, dizziness and increased potassium and dercreased kidney function.  Potential side effects of hydrochlorothiazide include dizziness and low potassium.

I would suggest seeing your doctor and discussing your symptoms.  

I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.

If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.