Sinus Tachycardia during exercise

I am a 45 year old female Fitness Instructor. Over the past 2 years I have had intermittent episodes of tachycardia during the latter part of a spinning class. My heartrate will abruptly climb from 145 BPM to 173 BPM and stay stuck in that mode from anywhere between 20mins to 3 hours. Nothing I have have tried will bring it down. It ends as quickly as it begins. I have no other episodes except during intense exercise and usually about every 2 weeks, not every time. I had a stress test yesterday and actually had an episode while on the treadmill, it did however, go down abruptly after about 3 mins. Tech said I was still in Sinus tachycardia??
I had a physical last week that was perfect. The cardiologost will contact me on his review of my stress test. Any thoughts? I have been so healthy for so long, this is making me crazy. I am off caffeine. I do not drink or smoke. My weight is 133 at 5'8.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
This isn't sinus tachycardia because it doesn't behave as such.  It is more likely an SVT either coming from the atria or the AV node.  Your cardiologist will probably recommend an EP study which is very effective in obtain a diagnosis.  In addition, at the same time, you can have an ablation procedure which depending on the type of tachycardia can have up to a 98% cure rate.  
Helpful - 1
My Dr. said the the Cardiologist said my treadmill test was "normal". What is normal about a heartrate leaping from 145BPM to 173 in less than 3 seconds? He read the cardiologists report which said "normal sinus tach". I KNOW something is wrong with how my heart is responding to exercise. Ant thoughts on what next?
Helpful - 0
I don't know whether this is helpful or not, but I have noticed on bicycle rides on the road that my heartrate does a somewhat similar thing. I am 60 and have been riding for 35 years. "Rides" consist of 40 to 60 miles of road riding that puts my heart rate at 130 to 145 during the initial 1 to 2 hours. I have noticed in that last hour that its difficult to keep the rate below 150 and it often exceeds 160 with what I consider fairly moderate exertion. I have considered dehydration to be a cause but don't think its solely responsible as I do try to take a lot of fluids. I quit worrying about it and just ride home.
Helpful - 0
Will I be able to exercise again? What is normal recovery time  after ablation? Should I exercise now? My tech at the Treadmill test said it was "still in Sinus" as he was monitoring the increase in HR. Was he wrong?
My Dr., before the Stress tes,t said it sounded like paroxysmal tachycardia? He said I could take a beta blocker at time of event. Is that another type of treatment?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Forum

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.