Heart Disease Community

Stopping metoprolol 25mg after 6 days??

I've taken metoprolol for six days for high blood pressure, it made me feel lousy, groggy and gave me headaches. I want to stop it cold turkey, my doctor says its ok with such a small dose but I am a huge worrier and would like to know if anyone had any side effects when stopping even after taking it for such a short period of time??
Your reaction to Metoprolol sounds like what I experienced when I started taking it years ago to get my blood pressure reduced.  After a couple of weeks, the symptoms went away and my blood pressure was relieved.  I'd consider staying on the drug for a week or so.  High blood pressure can be extremely dangerous.
That being said, if you wish to stop it, I'd suggest you trust your doctor regarding how to do so.  
Keep  us informed.
My last dose was two nights ago, I felt fine yesterday morning, last night I thought my heart will jump out of my chest, my BP was 160/110. Pulse 120. Very very high for me. This  morning I woke up feeling like I am dying, I took the metoprolol and within half an hour my BP was down to 120/75. Wow! I did not expect to feel like this after only 6 days. I guess quitting cold turkey is not a good idea, I will remain on the medicine and hopefully within a week the side effects will go down. So I urge anybody taking this, do NOT stop this even after a week, no matter what the doctor says.
Your dosage is rather low and you hadn't taken it for very long so your doctor is probably correct in stopping it cold turkey in your case. I took Toprol XL 25mg for more than 3 years and weened myself over a period of two weeks. I did not have the side effects that you are complaining about, but shortness of breath and terrible night sweats - I am glad, I got rid of it.
im in the same boat 25mg metoprolol  for 3 years 2nd week of 12.5 a day still have a little anxiety in late afternoon dr gave me xanex trying meditation and breathing hope it gets better next week when i go 12.5 every other day
Yes, I took 25mg Toprol for 7 years. Doctor told me to quit because my heart rate was too low...going into the 30's at night. I quit cold turkey and had much the same effects you were having. Doctor told me to split the tablet in half and take basically 12.5 mg a day for two weeks, then stop. Haven't had any problems since. If you are going to go off the medication always, no matter what the doctor says, ween yourself off no matter what the dosage!
Learned more (cautiously, "with a grain of salt") from this than other things I read, and success!!