Heart Disease Community

Strange Symptoms

I am a 44-y.o. male, 6'2", 205 lbs.  When I was 29, back on 11/29/1993 @ about 5 pm, I had an episode that RUINED my life: I experienced a forceful, violent, odd beating of my heart for a second or two, then went back to a regular rhythm….BUT….I instantly felt lightheaded, slightly dizzy, & my heart felt like it wasn't pumping right, like it was on the verge of stopping or like something shifted or got stuck in the region of my heart.  I have felt like this CONSTANTLY ever since (no one seems to understand it when I say I feel this way CONSTANTLY to this day!!!).  At the time, I was lifting weights regularly, & was fairly active with softball, cycling, basketball, etc.  I had zero medical history before this & had not been to a Dr. in at least 10 yrs. because I always felt great…until the moment this happened.  I am adopted, therefore I do not know my birth parents' health history since I cannot locate them.  I ended up going to the local Urgent Care center the day after this episode & then seeing my Primary Care Physician for the first time shortly there after.  He checked me over & sent me home.  Since then, I have seen him at least 4x per year about the same thing.  I have also seen several other Internal Medicine doctors, 4 cardiologists, a pulmonologist, 2 neurologists, 3 psychiatrists, a psychotherapist, a chiropractor, an acupuncturist, & some other disciplines.  In total 15+ different medical professionals in 14+ yrs.  Even went to the Cleveland Clinic for tilt table & hemodynamics tests (both normal).  Over the years I have had several CT & MRI scans of my chest, abdomen, & head, several chest x-rays, a stress test, trans-esophageal echo, upper GI, several EKGs, several ultrasounds of my heart, an EEG, sleep study, two 24 hour Holter monitors, a CTA, & nearly 1 year of biofeedback therapy through the psychotherapist.  I even saw a Medical Intuitive because I was so desperate.  The only thing they found were an occasional PVC & a small hole between the ventricles or the atriums (can't remember which).  I have been on several psychotropic drugs with absolutely no improvement (one actually sent me to the ER).  Was also on beta-blockers & other heart meds that did nothing.  Currently taking daily multi-vitamin, fish oil, Co-Q10 (virtually eliminated PVCs) and some other supplements.  In the last couple of years, it has gotten worse, to the point where I only do what I have to do & NOTHING ELSE, because my heart feels wrong & I feel like I'm going to pass out or collapse, even while lying down.  It feels like I'm in the middle of a heart attack ALL THE TIME….but there is no pain, just a constant wrong feeling my chest & a slight headache/dizziness/unsteadyness.  Stomach gurgling is EXTERMELY UNCOMFORTABLE!!  I also belch excessively since the discomfort seems be coming from the same area of my chest and belching seems to change it a bit.  Driving is becoming a real difficulty.  I have forgotten what it's like to feel normal.  BP is typically 120/70.  Total cholesterol is around 110 now after recent 50 lb weight loss, exercise, and Lipitor.  I was very happy in life before this happened & now everyday is a complete struggle & UNBEARABLE.  I even have a stethoscope & listen to my heart a lot & it sounds fine….but it feels like something is stuck, blocked, or clogged & the blood flow is impaired.  On a scale of 0-10 with 0 being dead & 10 being the way I felt before this happened, I am at a 1 with no relief in sight.  It seems I am the first person this has happened to!
It would be very unlikely that the palpitations are the sole cause of your problems. It does sound like anxiety and that the palpitations were the trigger. I too had palpitations before, but for some reason one night I got them bad and have been a wreck ever sense. I am a lot better now, but have my ups and downs. It seems you have had every test in the book, but I didn't see that you had an EP study, this might be needed to rule out a heart rhythm issue.
It doesn't feel like an electrical problem....it feels like there is something wrong mechanically.  Results of past tests don't show the need for an EP study.