Stress Test Results

Can someone please help me understand my recent Stress test findings: Images show mild intensity small-sized defect, located in the distal anterior and apical wall. Rest images show no change of the defect compared to the stress images. This defect suggests infarction vs. artifact in the wall. Gated SPECT imaging demonstates abnormal septal motion of the distal anterior and apical wall. The left ventricular ejection fraction was calculated to be 56%.
Nuclear Perfusion Impression: 1) Probably normal myocardial perfusion sestamibi SPECT imaging after lexiscan stress testing. There is a small area of infarction vs artifact in the distal anterior and apical wall. There is no evidence of significant ischemia; 2) Overall left ventricular function was normal with abnormal septal motion regional wall motion abnormalities as noted

Thanks so much. Norma
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
In very basic terms, the report is basically saying you have had a heart attack. This is when a blood vessel completely blocks, preventing oxygen getting to the part of the heart muscle concerned. The area of muscle which has been killed is small, but it has resulted in abnormal wall movement. However, the overall function of the left ventricle is good and your heart is pumping well, giving an EF of 56% which is fine. You was very lucky that the blockage was probably low down in the Coronary artery, causing only a small attack. Didn't you feel chest pains or other symptoms when it happened?
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much for responding to my post! Am so grateful and at a loss. I am a 44yr old female, 122lbs, recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's (autoimmune disease), Adrenal Fatigue and a variety of anemias all of which I am being treated for. As a toddler I had encephalitis of the brain accompanied by extremely high fevers. This spring I had to have removed a Thyroid nodule and I got the above-stated results during a pre-op test. The cardiologist I had I'd never seen before just brushed it off and said that I had an atrial septal aneurysm that was probably caused by an untreated Rheumatic Fever as a child. Basically told me just come see me once a year and 'bye". No mention of any infarction, nothing. I've always suffered from palpitations, pronounced/aware of my heartbeat, low BP and normal heart rate (70's). Sometimes I feel like my heart is racing but then I check and it'll be in the upper 70's to low 80's. Just the other day I felt a sharp pain righ below my neck in the upper chest/righ in the middle that lasted about half an hr but it didn't move or get worse so I ignored it. I was resting n watching movies. Am in shock at the findings and I suspected that's what it was as soon as I read it. smh! What do you think?
Helpful - 0
I think it is important to have a game plan with your doc. Sounds like your heart is OK, it is only a possible infarct, because it is so distal in the arteries it is hard to tell for sure.

You can improve your outcomes by focusing on a cardiac rehabilitation program. See if your doctor can get you into one or find something online.

Lots of heart health success,
Helpful - 0
I see...Thank you for your insight and most helpful advice. I just made an appointment with a reputable cardiologist here in NYC. I'm eager to see what they say and recommend. Blessings!
Helpful - 0
damage can be caused by rheumatic fever and by autoimmune disease. I think you have had a small attack, OR the muscle was damaged by one of the above because the report says your heart wall is not moving as expected, which backs up the claim of damage. With no signs of ischemia, I suspect they may just want to do the occasional check up on you.
Helpful - 0
Having done extensive research on these conditions it is most likely due to the Encephalitis and possibly overlooked Rheumatic episode which btw had me in grave condition for close to 2 weeks. I wasn't expected to make it but thank God I did. I'm hoping that my dr. visit will yield the same result as you stated. Here's to positive thinking! :o)
Helpful - 0
Is your autoimmune problem under control?
Helpful - 0
Currently being treated with meds/supplements. I just got diagnosed this summer. It takes a long time to heal. Btw...went to the cardiologist yesterday and he stated that I am in good health and that those findings were non-consequential and physiologically common and normal. Incredible journey and finally can relax on this note.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Community