Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Disease Community
20.1k Members

Sudden onset of accelerated heart rate & BP (up to 110 bpm)

I was awakened one night last week by a fast heart rate (sinus) and my BP was also raised. It happened again today while sitting in a chair with my dog.  Took HR and it was 67 in sinus rhythm.  Let me stop here and say that I have TERRIBLE anxiety. Got scared and it went up to 87....took bp right after taking my metoprolol and it was 152/75, pulse 85 (normal rhythm). In about 20 minutes it was 122/63 and pulse was 57 (which if usual for me). I had one bout with AFib in May of 2014 so I make sure it is beating in sinus sync. I eat correctly and walk 30 minutes each day. Cholesterol and all lipids low....HDL at 73. I am not overweight. Glucose at 87. I am on a low dose of Levothyroxine (12.5 /day), statin, aspirin, metoprolol and HCTZ. When I had AFib they did and echo and said everything was fine but heart had a little trouble when relaxing ... but this is usual when you are having an ECHO performed during AFib.  I also had a heart cath which showed two arteries (Proximal LAD 40% stenosis and D1 off of LAD at 50%...everything else was clean. Have been to cardiologist every 6 months since AFIb. He says all is fine but has done no further testing. What can cause this HR & BP increase to happen so suddenly? I am really scared.  Oh, and I have no swelling nor any shortness of breath.
1 Responses
I also forgot to mention that I am 63 years old and female.  My EF from cath was 60-65%.
Have an Answer?
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1538184537
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1506084164
Netherlands
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.