Heart Disease Forum

Symptoms

Hello Doctor,I am 24 and I have been wondering about random symptoms I have been having over the past year. Some days I'll feel great, I wouldn't say most days, and the others I'm feeling tired, short of breath, anxious and irratable. I have found myself worring over my health because of the tiredness and such because I am young and I figure I shouldn't feel this way. I have had my heart checked and tests came back good but almost everytime I feel ill I link it back to my heart (benign PVC's PAC's Tachy).Do you think I have an anxiety disorder? Because it has been driving me nuts over this past year and thats kind of sudden to start having anxiety?Anyway, if I do I want to see a counceller or something, but I don't want to dismiss actual health problems.My cardio said not to worry about my heart yet I worry.That to me is messed up and I can't seem to stop it.I,as I have posted, have palps that leave me feeling like someone punched me in the stomach and a sinking feeling in my chest.If I'm exercising, sexually active or whatever during these times(I can have 3/min for hours maybe more at times)I find it hard to comprehend to "ignor them".I'm also sad that I can never have one alcholic beverage for fear of my heart stopping because I'd have so many, and I can feel everyone.Believe me I want to move on with my life but the dread I feel when they happen is almost like my gut telling me "get help, somethings wrong", should I ignor that? What symptoms only would signify that I should see a doctor? I have chest pain that is intense that I can't move for a min(stitchy).Thank-you Dr
Hi Tristan,

Sorry for the delay post. I was away from home and my computer crashed.

Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well.  Your symptoms are very common.  It is very common to see someone in clinic as a second opinion that is young (almost always young) and has a had a completely normal cardiac work up.  They are convinced something is wrong with their heart and are afraid their doctor is just missing the signs or hasn't ordered the right tests.  In these situations the cause is almost always an anxiety disorder.  The problem is the only person that posts this situation is the exception, so the people that look on the internet find it  easy to find the exceptions.

Do you think I have an anxiety disorder?

It sounds like it is very possible.  If you haven't had a second opinion, consider having one.  Not because I think something is being missed but because you need reassurance that nothing is missed.  If you decide on a second opinion, bring a copy of echo (video tape or CD/DVD), ekg's and any other cardiac tests so your doctor doesn't have to reorder them if they are satisfied with the quality.

Because it has been driving me nuts over this past year and thats kind of sudden to start having anxiety?

The average ages to start having an anxiety disorder is mid-late twenties, early thirties.

If I'm exercising, sexually active or whatever during these times(I can have 3/min for hours maybe more at times)I find it hard to comprehend to "ignor them".

when people say ignor them, think of it more like acknowledging them but choosing not to listien -- like you drunk brother-in-law over the holidays (you can hear him but you choose not to react because you know that nothing you can say will change it).  Sorry for the bad example.

I'm also sad that I can never have one alcholic beverage for fear of my heart stopping because I'd have so many, and I can feel everyone.

Your heart will not stop with alcohol.

Believe me I want to move on with my life but the dread I feel when they happen is almost like my gut telling me "get help, somethings wrong", should I ignor that?

Only ignore it after you have seen your doctor for the symptoms.   If your doctor is convinced the symptoms you are having is not dangerous, then proceed.

What symptoms only would signify that I should see a doctor?

That is a tough one to answer.  If you have seen your doctor for the same symptoms that you are having and they are ok with it -- then you don't need to see a doctor.  You have to use a little common sense though -- if the character of your pain changes, then it is worth re-evaluating.

Consider getting a second opinion.  If both doctors think you are ok, then consider seeing a theurapist for anxiety.

I hope this helps.
See my answer to you below.  Just have to say here, yes to everything you said, I've been through and thought about too. Who wouldn't be anxious or worried at any age that this starts up. There are some people who never feel a single early beat or don't notice tachycardia and there are those of us who feel everything. Extra sensitive autonomic nervous system.

The dread feeling/anxious will almost always bring up the worrying that "maybe the dr's are missing something". It gets to the point that we have to try to finally believe our dr., take their reassurance that our heart is fine no matter what it throws out at us.

Work on that every day, and the less palpitations,early beats and tachy you feel each day give you a little mor confidence that you can get through this.

It's a long road for some and shorter for others, but you can get there. Even when a setback hits, you can get back on track.
I find that when I am getting pvc's, I also feel tired, down and irritable. They are depressing. Who would feel upbeat and enthusiastic with such a strange feeling in their chest? Did you try taking a beta blocker to reduce the freqency? After dealing with these things for twenty years, I would recommend spending some time reading the postings on this forum and the doctor's responses for reassurance and then just completely ignore them and live your life normally. I am very sensitive to alcohol and sometimes I will just have a few sips of wine which usually does not bring them on. If it does, then it won't kill you. You just have more of them and then it will pass. Also, something to think about... I find that when I am taking antibiotics I have no pvc's. Not to say that your doctor will prescribe antibiotics for a heart issue but pay attention to next time you happen to be on an antibiotic and if they do go away. I plan on asking the cardiologist about this next time I see him.
I thank you both for your comments, they really helped me when I read them. I will keep the antibiotic thing in mind for sure and again, thanks for sharing your experiences, that makes me feel like I am not the only one this way.
I am sorry you are going through this. I just wanted to share a little bit with you so you may feel a little better. I am a 32 year old female and I have had these "benign" beats since I was 18! I have had countless EKG's,Echocardiograms,holter monitors etc..and they all say the same..that there is nothing to worry about and to just go on with living a normal life. That is the hardest thing in the world to do. I am in a constant struggle with these things. I think about dying every minute of the day and it stops me from living a "normal" life. At this point, once you have had the all clear from your doc, then it becomes a battle with your anxiety. That is really what most of us are dealing with here. This forum has done wonders for me and I hope it will help you as well. I have actually made a pretty good friend on here that we talk each other through these episodes quite often. Feel free to come back here as often as you need...You are NOT alone...
Several people here have mentioned that getting therapy for anxiety has helped them enormously.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.