Heart Disease Forum

Tachycardia and pregnancy

I just recently found out that I am pregnant with my first child.  I was diagnosed with SVT about 3 years ago.  Two ablation have been attemtped with no success.  I am currently taking 50mg of Atenolol a day.  Is there any problems associated with taking this medication while pregnant?  Also is there anything else that I should be concernced about during my pregnancy and having this condition?
When beta blockers have been used in pregnancy, metoprolol and propranolol have been used more often than atenolol. These beta blockers have been used successfully during pregnancy, though your child should be monitored closely around the time of delivery. The beta blockers can have adverse affects on the fetus in terms of development in some animal studies. Pindolol and acebutalol are considered by the FDA to be even safer, but this is all on the basis of animal studies. Pregnancy, and the stresses associated with it, can sometimes make SVTs flare up. Also, it is often recommended not to breastfeed while taking beta blockers as they can cause the baby's heart rate to slow down. You ought to sit down and talk with both your cardiologist and obstetrician about these issues.
I have not been able to post here for the last three days so forgive me for posting this here . It always says the area is full for the day .

The above was a diagnosis for a 16 year old female in our family. The Doctor's have said they only know of two other cases like hers and the mothers of the two had lupus during pregnancy .I have been able to search out and read each diagnosis singularly but nothing in a case study concerning all of the three. Can someone tell me anything or point me in a direction to find some information ? Lots of heart problems within this family also . This young girls father had a pacemaker put in in his twenties . Thank you , Loretta Dawson
So sorry , this didn't work out quite like I planned !~
To Sheri, regarding comment by Dr. DLB :

Regarding postpartum issues, such as breastfeeding, I have SVT and breastfeed my 8 month old son.  Although my family doctor discouraged me from continuing to breastfeed, I consulted with a pediatrician, lactation consultant and pharmacist before making my final decision to discontinue or continue breastfeeding.  The beta blocker I am on, Toprol XL 25mg/day, is approved by the American Academy of Pediatric Medicine for breastfeeding mothers.  Propranolol is another approved beta blocker.  I don't want to take unnecessary chances with the health of my baby by introducing a drug to him through my breast milk, but I feel confident that the amount he may receive is miniscule.  We have noticed no discernable effects in him at all - no brachacardia (misspelled, I'm sure).  I would really do my homework if I were you and find a safe-for-pregnancy and safe-postpartum beta blocker.  I'm certain there's one available.  As doctor DLB suggested, ask your OB;  also, maybe a lactation consultant and pharmacist could offer some helpful feedback.  Good luck!
I took atenolol through two pregnancies (I did not breast feed, however) and both babies were perfectly healthy.  I tried to not take it, but I felt so terrible with the tachycardia I had to. Good luck.
For Sheri re: pregnancy

The Information you have recieved so far is good. However, you should attempt a consult with a neonatoligist prior to delivery.

A neonate is defined as " from conception, to 21 days of age". Neonatology is still considered a new science by many and you should consider this consult, an important part of your decision process.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.