Heart Disease Forum

Tenormin

Posted by Christos on May 08, 1999 at 12:04:15
I'm 38 yrs old male, taking 25mg Tenormin(atenolol)/day to adjust my blood pressure for the last 14 months.
As my doctor suggest I'll need to take it for the rest of my life!
1.I'm very much worried on long term effects. Please advise.
2.I've noticed that since I started the medication I've put on weight and I find it extremely difficult to loose it.(unlike before that diet seem to be more effective than now!)Is this normal?
Thanks a lot.

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - CRC on May 10, 1999 at 09:39:56

Dear Christos,
Thanks a lot.,
Thank you for your questions.  In general there are no long-term side effects from atenolol.  I am not sure why you have put the weight on.  Have there been any other changes in your lifestyle or eating habits?  What type of weight loss programs have you tried?
Here is some general information about beta-blockers.
This class includes the following medications: generic (brand name), - propranolol (Inderal), atenolol (Tenormin), Labetalol (Normodyne, Trandate), metoprolol (Lopressor), pindolol (Viskin), Nadolol (Corgard), and sotalol (Betapace).  These drugs work by binding to a receptor called the beta receptor.  Once this receptor is blocked the drug exerts its effect in various methods.  The heart rate is slowed, the blood pressure is lowered and heart rhythms are stabilized.  
Beta-blockers are used to treat high blood pressure, angina (chest pain), heart attacks, heart rhythm problems such as atrial fibrillation and more recently heart failure.  
Potential side effects include: >10 % mental depression, tiredness, weakness, dizziness
1-10% Bradycardia (slow heart rate), wheezing, irregular heart beat, reduced peripheral circulation, heartburn
<1% Rash, chest pain, constipation, decreased sexual activity, itching, nausea, vomiting, stomach discomfort, insomnia, heart failure, nightmares, confusion, headache, impotence, cold extremities.
Potential drug interactions include:
Increased effect of metoprolol - amiodarone, cimetidine, diltiazem, nifedipine, nicardipine, verapamil, flecainide, hydralazine, MAO inhibitors, quinidine, ciprofloxacin, propafenone, oral contraeptives, fluoxetine, sertraline.
Decreased effect of metoprolol - NSAIDS, salycylates, barbiturates, rifampin, clonidine.
The dosage and frequency depend upon the individuals metabolism and the drug being used.
There are no substitutes to beta-blockers. There are no drugs to counteract the side effects of beta blockers.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.