Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Disease Community
20.2k Members

Threshold or guidance for angioplasty

Tomorrow, i undergo an angiogram that was ordered after a marginally result during a treadmill stress test. I am about 10 lbs over weight (index~27), have ldl of 160 (under lipid therapy now), and have chest discomfort when heart rate exceeds 130 bpm. However, the discomfort dissipates rapidly after I belch and will rebuild if exercise continues. A series of gastro tests found no abnormal conditions. I do have spiking blood pressure at exercise and have been under beta blocker for 5 years. Finally, i am anaphylactic to iodine from an adolescent IVP, but i am being premedicated: there is some increased risk in doing this procedure again.

Question: what are the current guidelines for degree of stenosis that warrants a stent? Any guidance in this case? Can the stability of the plaque be assessed and if so, does that guide therapy?
1 Responses
592969 tn?1248325405
Doctors opinions may differ, but what I have found is usually around 70 percent blockage, a stent is needed.  Sometimes an artery will spasm with only 30 percent blockage and in that case a stent is also needed to prevent the spasming and chest pain (which can be as severe as a heart attack).  Hope all goes well for you tomorrow.  An angiogram does give the answers that are needed more than any test will.  Take care and get some sleep.  
Have an Answer?
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1538180937
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1506080564
Netherlands
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.