Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Toddler who turned 3

I have a 3 yr old toddler who for 3 nights in a row is waking up crying..she doesn't seem coherent..but she is swallowing and swallowing quite a bit more than normal...and she coughs..a bit but not much..so I just happened to check her pulse and it seemed high to  me...when you check it you should count until the time has reached 15 seconds? Well is that the correct way to check it because if it's 30 seconds it's way too high...something like 400bpm..I  need help!!
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Ditto on the "night terrors"    Toddler's get into a trance where they aren't really awake and dont respond well to directions... seen it in mine quite a few times!    Other times she will try to talk and act like she is awake... as soon as I put her back in bed she instantly falls back to sleep.   Agree on the 400bpm is too fast to calculate.    It would be 15 secs x 4 to get bpm...yes      The screaming usually leads to the coughing spells so I wouldn't think anything of it.
Helpful - 0
187666 tn?1331173345
Some toddlers have "night terrors", kind of a walking nightmare state. My oldest son went through that for awhile. Not sure what triggers it. And an excited state like that could increase heart rate. But trying to count out 400 bpm is pretty difficult. Even over 200 bpm is getting tricky. This is something you should mention to her pediatrician, make sure there's nothing else going on in her health.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Community

Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1538180937
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1506080564
Netherlands
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.