Heart Disease Forum

Topamax and Blood Pressure

I was prescribed Topamax for migraines, which was a best guess diagnosis, since everything else was ruled out. I had lost vision half way across my right eye twice within two weeks, and had been feeling like I was going to pass out at least once a day for almost a month. They put me on Topamax. At the time I was also on Bystolic for high blood pressure. A couple of weeks after being put on Topamax my cardiologist told me I could quit taking my blood pressure meds because it seemed the Topamax was helping with that as well. Is this a normal response?

It seems the first two weeks since then my blood pressure has been normal, but the last two weeks it has been running high again, but only the bottom number sometimes, and other times it is both numbers...107/91, 140/102, etc. I used to be able to tell when my bp was up, but now on the Topamax I no longer feel dizzy or lightheaded. Should I be contacting my doctor about going back on my meds?
It is a common side effect of this med, but you should have your blood pressure rechecked in about 6 weeks to make sure that it's still well controlled.  It is possible that your blood pressure may go up again as your body gets used to this medication.  At that point you should recontact your physician regarding restarting the htn meds.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.