Heart Disease Community

Toprol XL Side Effects

I take 25mg of Toprol XL daily for mitral valve prolapse. I don't have high bp. Is fatigue a common side effect with such a small dose? I have been on this dosage for about 4 years, but I feel tired during the day sometimes. I recently took up running and am a very active person who enjoys running several times a week. My resting heart rate is 48 bpm. Also, what is the best time of day to take this med? I have always taken it during the morning because my doc said it would control the chest pains better.
I understand that you are very active which would make you have a lower heart rate than most, but 48 is low.  Call your doctor.  You may need your dose changed.  Your low heart rate and the medicine definitely would contribute to your feeling tired.  Maybe just a change in your dose (lower) or a different med. will bring up your heart rate and you will feel better.   I work in a cardiologist office and do know that you should call your doctor with this complaint and let them know how low your heart rate is.  Your hr could possibly be going even lower while you are sleeping.  Hope this helps you.