Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Disease Community
20.1k Members

Toprol XL and arrythmia

My husband has a history of intermittent PVC caught on a nuclear perfusion stress test. His physician has prescribed Toprol XL on a prn basis when he is aware of "skipped beats".  My nursing drug handbook states using Toprol for arrythmia is an unlabed use, and I understand how that works. I'm just curious about the PRN prescription as I haven't been able to find information about that.
3 Responses
Hi there... just saw your posting... i developed pvc's at the start of 2004 at the age of 49. Essentialy no relief for a year. Echo and all tests were normal. I do exercise a lot. Anyway in jan 2005 i was worried so went to an ep doc here in okla.. He prescribed Toprol XL 25gm to take at night.... actually i didnt see any difference in the occurance of them for a year but did continue them as my blood pressure was 145/95 before the med. after the med it is always in the115/75 to 120/80 range. Then in the spring of this year i noticed that the pvc freqency really started to diminish quite a bit. Now on i would say 95 % of the days i wont have more than say 10 or 15. But every great now and then i do have a day where say for an hour or so they might come at say 2 or 3 a minute and it is usually due to stress as a trigger. I dont know what is going on or whether or not the med is helping but thank goodness i feel soooooo much better. they were ruining my quality of life. as i was having them to the tune of 5 to 6 a minute most of the day. You spoke of labeling??? what does that mean?
thank you for answering...an unlabed use means that the FDA has not specifically approved the drug for a certain use so that it appears "on the label", but that physicians have discovered that it does seem to help in a specific situation that have not been tested thoroughly through double blind studies, etc. I was just very surprised because the physician has ordered it on a PRN or as needed basis, rather than taking it every day. A lot of medications are effective because a certain blood level of the drug is maintained in your system and I was under the impression that that is how beta blockers are more effective...I'm glad you're doing well, PVC's are a very frightening sensation as you know!
Hello:   I have had PVCs on and off the last couple of years.   All heart tests were normal, but about two weeks ago they started again and with a vengeance.   Felt like 30-40 per minute.   Doctor also perscribed Metoprolol XL (25 mg. -- Toprol) as needed.   That drug really helped a lot but did make me tired.   After PVCs reduced I cut it down to half a day and today I'm trying to go without it.   Doctor said PRN (as needed).   She is supposed to be one of the best cardiologists in SF so I presume she knows her stuff.  
Have an Answer?
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1538184537
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1506084164
Netherlands
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.