A
A
A
Close
Heart Disease Community
20.1k Members
1213000 tn?1280466761

Treatment of Arthritis after Angioplastcy

53 years old.  Had two angioplastsy procedures over the last three weeks.  Result - 6 drug-eluting stents, 4 in the LAD, 1 in the RCA and one in the Ramus and some angioplastcy in some of the smaller vessels.  Very fortunate that there appears to never have been a heart attack.  

Here's the issue:  I have osteoarthritis in the knees and neck and some nerve pain that has plagued me since a bout with Bells Palsy in the right front portion of the neck.  These pains were controlled with Motrin -- prescribed at 800 mg three times a day.  Now I am on Plasurgrel (new blood thinner) and diltiazem for BP and the doc says "No Motrin, No Nexium, No anything" for the other pain.  Ok, I don't want to die but how do I handle the pain?  I do not want narcotics.  
2 Responses
916737 tn?1243940442
I wonder why your doctor was so rigid about your intake of pain killer. I know that Motrin interact with blood thinners like warfarin and coumarin as well as some peptic ulcer disease treatments like cimetidine and ranitidine.

The best thing is to discuss the option of changing your medication with your rheumatologist. Tell him/her about your cardiologist’s warning so he/she can pick up your ideal treatment. As you can guess, suggesting alternative analgesics in the forum would be too hazardous in your case.
1213000 tn?1280466761
Good advice BrokenPen.  I think it's the fact that I am on Plasurgrel, which I guess is more efficient at thinning the blood than Plavix and, while a remote possibility, a GI bleed would potentially be catastrophic.  
Have an Answer?
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1538184537
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1506084164
Netherlands
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.