Heart Disease Community

Treatment of Arthritis after Angioplastcy

53 years old.  Had two angioplastsy procedures over the last three weeks.  Result - 6 drug-eluting stents, 4 in the LAD, 1 in the RCA and one in the Ramus and some angioplastcy in some of the smaller vessels.  Very fortunate that there appears to never have been a heart attack.  

Here's the issue:  I have osteoarthritis in the knees and neck and some nerve pain that has plagued me since a bout with Bells Palsy in the right front portion of the neck.  These pains were controlled with Motrin -- prescribed at 800 mg three times a day.  Now I am on Plasurgrel (new blood thinner) and diltiazem for BP and the doc says "No Motrin, No Nexium, No anything" for the other pain.  Ok, I don't want to die but how do I handle the pain?  I do not want narcotics.  
I wonder why your doctor was so rigid about your intake of pain killer. I know that Motrin interact with blood thinners like warfarin and coumarin as well as some peptic ulcer disease treatments like cimetidine and ranitidine.

The best thing is to discuss the option of changing your medication with your rheumatologist. Tell him/her about your cardiologist’s warning so he/she can pick up your ideal treatment. As you can guess, suggesting alternative analgesics in the forum would be too hazardous in your case.
Good advice BrokenPen.  I think it's the fact that I am on Plasurgrel, which I guess is more efficient at thinning the blood than Plavix and, while a remote possibility, a GI bleed would potentially be catastrophic.