Troubles after an angiogram

I had an angiogram in a teaching hospital. I usually go to a cardiologist in another city. But my cardiologist could not perform my scheduled angiogram. My symptoms before this angiogram were chest pain with exertion of any kind. After this angiogram, I have had blood pressure problems, breathing problems, dry cough, shortness of breath and all the other symptoms that my cardiologist wanted me to do an angiogram for. He had said that if I needed an other stent put in. I would need a bypass even though I have small vessels.
According to the cardiologist who talked to me afterwards and also preformed the angiogram said that I would never be able to have a bypass and just had to life with less oxygen in my left ventricle. He all showed me this in a still picture from my heart cath. I never saw this cardiologist again. After wards I was in critical care and had all kinds of severe arrhythmias. My husband who was in the waiting room was never told anything even when he asked afterwards. He could not leave since I was too critical I was told I needed a pacemaker normally I have low heart rate and blood pressure also.

The next day they said everything was fine and could leave…. The nurses were extremely upset. Anyway, I left….
My own cardiologist says everything is fine and showed me a glimpse of the disk that had the angiogram on it.
It has been almost two month now and I feel worse then ever, I also have a dry cough and can hardly talk and breathe at the same time. I have been in the hospital for breathing trouble and heart troubles….

My question is could anything have gone wrong in this catheterization that no one is looking at????? I was very active even though I had a massive heart attack and three stents were placed several Cutting Balloon angioplasties and three more stents that keep plugging up with scar tissue, I have never felt worse after an angioplasty, or angiogram after the first week recovery.

Could some one please answer this question thank you,
Sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience. Risks with cath  include arrhythmia's or irregular heart beat - This usually corrects itself or it can be treated with medications..

Or there is a clot in the coronary artery and it gets dislodged inadvertently during the procedure, it may get lodged in an artery feeding the heart and may result in heart attack or if it gets dislodged to the brain, then there is a danger of stroke. Also there can be ischemia causing chest pain, shrtness of breath, etc.

Other heart problems like endocarditis, puncture of the heart or one of it's blood vessels are rare complications of Cardiac Catheterization  The incidence of pseudoaneurysm (PA) varies from 0.1 - 0.7% after diagnostic to 3.2% after interventional procedures. Pseudoaneurysm is a complication of arterial catheterization and are contained disruptions in an arterial wall after penetrating or blunt trauma.

"Pseudoaneurysms are most likely to occur when, the patient is anticoagulated and  the branches of the femoral artery have been punctured . Most pseudoaneurysms are asymptomatic and undergo spontaneous thro m b o s i s especially if less than 2 cm in diameter. The remainder re q u i res therapy to avoid complications such as hemorrhage, rupture, and peripheral embolization"  These complications include arterial thrombosis, distal embolization, dissection, fistula formation.
Thank you for responding you have a wealth of information.

I knew about complications of a puncture and that the kidneys could be damaged from the dye in an angiogram, but your list makes it like you never want one done ever again.... (lol)

I was sent to a pulmonary specialist who at first saw in a long scan strange stuff but with the dye scan.   I had to take steroids before this scan for since I am allergic to the iodine dye at once my lungs were clear.

Also I had a pulmonary testing done as they also thought I had asthma. Each time they do the test they cannot finish them since I have a low blood pressure reaction. The Methacholine challenge test: of them even sent me to the hospital fainting three times in an hour right after the test.

The tests I have had are C-SCAN for my lungs also a whole body C-SCAN, I also had an Echocardiogram/Cardio Ultrasound all showed normal. I do not remember a C-SCAN from my heart.

At first the pulmonary specialist said it was my heart, the cardiologist says it is my lungs.

Frustrated I went to a new internist that seemed okay the first time I talked to him…. He says now it is all anxiety and need to go to a Psychiatrist… I know anxiety very well; I am a human services and chemical dependency counselor. I also have experienced it my self and I cannot relate it to anxiety at all.

Just doing simple tasks will get me exhausted and have still have a dry cough also cannot sleep on my back witch is the most comfortable for me.

Do you know of any other testing they can do to figure out what went wrong in the angiogram test… The Cardiologists will not do another stress test or a angiogram again so soon as they do believe everything is my normal cardiac problems…..

Thank you so much for your wisdom,
My Dad had an angiogram, and afterwards he had continual difficulty breathing. He passed away about a month after the angiogram, in his sleep. Appears that the angiogram weakened his heart and especially the side of his heart that circulates the lungs.

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Community