Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Disease Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Weak Mom, 13 pills daily, 3 heart surgeries, artificial valves

I am her son, posting on her behalf.
I feel that the following cocktail of drugs is not going to improve my mothers declining health. I wonder if she should even be on this drug combo. since I doubt anyone has been for long. It seems her M.D. merely matched symptoms to the corresponding drug repeatedly, and left it at that.
Chemically and surgically forcing her internal environment has left her weak.. I would like to see her on a more natural regimen that supports the body instead of burdens the liver. I know such things exist from my internet research. Any help from anyone is greatly appreciated.

-age 65
-Rheumatic fever as an infant, weakened heart.
-Non-smoker 30 yeas.
-Only drinks 1-2 drinks on special occasions
-3-4 open heart surgeries, both valves are artificial, audible clicking sounds.
-healthy green leafy foods not allowed
-daily morning coffee
-Typical Western diet
-low energy, not exercising, steady decline over 20 years. She used to walk to my baseball games and home again 2-3 times per week (3km each way)
-Feels the need to always be talking, even if it puts her out of breath, and uses her hands more than necessary when talking, swaying and pointing.
-Increased hospital visits in the past 10 years, several times annually) for fluid on the lungs, and less often for blood in stool.
-Memory failing, similar conversations with her every few weeks on phone

List of meds/supps as told to me over the phone:
-Lorazepam .5mg daily (anxiety)
-Metoprolol 25mg twice daily (beta-blocker)
-Ranitidine 150mg daily (stomach)
-Digoxin? .125mg daily (heart)
-Furosemide 80mg morning - 40 mg afternoon (loop diuretic)
-Ferrous Sulfate 300mg daily (iron)
-Folic Acid 5mg daily (RBC)
-Warfarin 3mg (blood thinner)
-Citalopram 20mg daily (anti depressant)
-Allopurinol 200mg daily (gout)
-Astrobacatin? Astrotactin? 10mg daily (she thought it's a beta-blocker)
-Amlodipine 5mg daily (blood pressure)
-ASA (Aspirin) 81mg daily (blood vessels)
0 Responses
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.