Heart Disease Forum

abdominal aorta ultrasound result

I recently had an abdominal aorta ultrasound to rule out mesenteric ischemia because of epigastric pain I have been having for 5months. A CT of my abdomen aorta showed scattered atherosclerotic calcifications.
The cardiologist called me to tell me the ultrasound was normal.
Upon reviewing a copy of the ultrasound, I noticed on the conclusion it stated for the superior mesenteric artery velocities suggest <70 percent stenosis.
It that something I should be concerned about.
Could you explain what that means exactly?
Thank you
Chronic mesenteric ischemia is usually the result of severe atherosclerotic disease involving the mesenteric arteries.  Ultrasound is a fairly accurate test used to identify significant disease in these arteries.  Based on the test results you describe, there is no evidence for any blockages that could cause mesenteric ischemia.  Chronic abdominal pain is often times difficult to diagnose; I recommend continued close consultation with your physician.  
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.