alcohol ablation of the septal artery

I have recieved information from this forum the the septal artery. but still have additional question regarding the procedure. I know this is a new procedure and would like some background on previous patients that have had this done.  for example: age groups, history of heart problems and the sucess rate following the procedure.  Any restrictions after? length of hospital stay?   we have an appointment scheduled in Feb.
  thanks

Dear Nancy,
These are all questions that you can ask in February, or rather when it is decided that you will have this procedure performed, that it is the procedure of choice for you.  You may find out at your appointment that there is something less or more invasive that should be tried first before doing septal ablation.  Unfortunately in regards to this procedure, it is VERY variable as to how long your procedure will take, how long you will be hospitalized following the procedure, etc.  I can say that on average the patient is not hospitalized more than 5 days following the procedure, however, it really does depend on many factors as well as whether or  not there are any complications, and on how you feel.
I can also say that many patients undergoing septal artery ablation are older and not candidates for the surgical procedure that is called septal myomectomy, this again is not the case for all the patients and certainly is not the case at every institution that is doing the procedure.  Remember, this procedure is still considered experimental.
I hope this information is useful. Information provided in the heart forum is for
general purposes only.  Only your physician can provided specific diagnoses and therapies.
Feel free to write back with further questions. Good luck!
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please
call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at
www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the
cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your
cardiac problem.

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Forum

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.