Heart Disease Forum

everyday Palpatations normal?

I was diagnosed with slight mvp about 5 years ago. Had and echo done March 2001 everything was normal except for slight mvp.  In March of 2002 I began experiencing daily palpatations.  I was very nervous about this although my cardiologist and M.D. assured me not to worry.  I asked for a 24 Hr holter and sure enough, it caught about 130 PVC's and some PAC's. Mostly at night.  I am currently on 37mg of Atenenol daily taken in the A.M. My cardiologist and M.D. say I don't need another echo now and say I can feel these daily(I do some days worse than others but always 50 or so)and not to worry. Do I need another echo now?
Katie Fran,

130 PVCs per 24 hr holter, is approximately 5-6 per hour, or 1 every 10 minutes.  This number of PVCs in someone with a structurally normal heart (which would include slight MVP) would not cause much concern for most doctors.  However, many patients will feel these as uncomfortable, or worse.

From the information given, I do not see any need for repeat echo, but perhaps intensification of medical therapy is warranted.

Talk to your doctor.  Hope that helps.
Hi Katie!  I too was diagnosed with mild mvp.  Although I don't feel like I have the symptoms of MILD mvp.  I have palpitations and pvcs.  I have noticed that I have more pvcs and palpitations the week of my period.  My heart rate is also increased.  I have been trying to post my history and ask a few questions but I don't make the cut in time.  So here it is back in March I went to the er with my heart racing for 8 hours at er was 173 bpm.  Stress test - negative, echo - mild mvp, holter test - svt, and now I have an appointment to get an ep study done.  B/c rather than getting my symptoms masked I would like to know why all of a sudden I started having trouble.  I am currently on 100 mg of Toprol.  I just want to get back to normal before I started feeling every little thing that goes wrong in my chest.
Thanks for responding.  I don't notice any increase at the time of my cycle, but rather when I am laying down or even just relaxing.  It seems that when I keep busy throughout the day I don't feel them.  It is not that I just don't notice them when I am busy, because when I had my holter, I was able to post in the journal every time they occurred while I was awake.  I agree that it is frustrating not knowing the cause, and that there is nothing that I can do. Good Luck.
Hello there.  I too experience more palps during the week of my period.  I wonder why is this.  Also I was wondering, do your palps feel like your heart pauses for a sec???
yes......my heart feels like it pauses for a second with my PAC's.  I can also get a second or two of light headedness.

have no idea what started mine as I have had a Hysterectomy. Holter monitor showed many many PAC'over a 24 hour period. The cardio doc said Benign PAC's and to live with them.  They have mostly gone away on their own with no meds.  I hated them and still do but with time....mine got better.

Good Luck to all of you.
I was wondering what the difference is between a pvc and a pac?  I have heard that hormones have alot to do with your heart palpitations and pvcs during your period although there is no connection they say.  I think that there is.  I have never had any trouble with my period as far as pms.  Now I have cramps, irritability, heavier flow and it last longer than it used to so I do think it is all related.  It started about the same time frame.  Although I do experience the palpitations and pvcs all month long.

I feel a tingle sensation and then I feel it catch a beat.  I don't know how exactly to describe it.  Are any of you on medication for your palpitations or pvcs?  I would love to be able to come off of this Toprol but I am scared of what I will experience if I do.  I think I am canceling my appt. for an ep study.  I have read too many horror stories.  I would like to get a second opinion.  And why all of a sudden do we have to live with this???
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.