A
A
A
Close
Heart Disease Community
20.1k Members

heart attack

Hi,
74 yr old, male, with smoking and sleeping apnea history, high blood pressure.
Recent heart attack due to 3 blocked coronary arteries, one of them has a blockage of about 2 inches long.

Question: considering the above, which is a better approach, a 3 by-pass open heart surgery OR avoid major surgery and apply stents instead ?
1 Responses
976897 tn?1379171202
Due to your age, I would go for stenting to start with. The key is to stop smoking because that will block the stents. I have a triple bypass at the age of 47 and it only lasted 3 months before collapsing. When being readmitted to hospital, I was shocked how many patients had experienced the very same thing, some only lasting a couple of weeks. Even if only one of your arteries stays open after stenting, it could be that you open collateral vessels (natural bypasses) on your heart to feed into the others. Also, due to your age there is recovery time. It took a whole year for mine to heal and I was told 3 months. Stents only take a couple of hours before you are mobile again and there is very little discomfort.
Have an Answer?
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1538184537
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1506084164
Netherlands
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.