heart attack

My husband has just been to see a doctor -Gp -- he his suffering with pain in the left chest and left arm and is very very tired - he had a ecg done which showed up as being abnormal - the doctor has referred him to a cardiologist.He has been suffering with this pain for a long time and is very stubborn refuses to see a doctor until today.He previously had a heart attack 8 years ago and 3 years also had his heart jump started as it had gone out of rympth ---- he now does not want to go to the cardioligist -- would this condition lead to a full blown heart attack.He is out of breath with just taking a few steps.If he wants to do anything physical he just cannot do it as the pain comes back and the exhaustion.I feel helpless but need to know what will happen if he does not seek a doctor and what i can do if he does have a full blown heart attack.He is 67years of age - and has heart disease throughout his whole family he also has high blood pressure and is on medication
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Your husband is a ticking time bomb!  I know how stubborn our husbands can be, but I did learn one trick that got my husband to act on his own with his health.  He had uncontrolled Diabetes, high BP, 63 and overweight.  I decided that if he wanted to continue to grow old with me that he would do something about all this.  I told him this, and promised to say no more about it, and I never said a word.  Next thing I knew he took matters into his own hands and sought help and got everything under control.  We never discussed what I did, but HE had to want to live, and I knew I couldn't make him.  It's hard to do this, but your husband has to want to live, and so long as you are worrying about him, he feels he doesn't need to do it himself.  When he is left alone to think about all this, he will be asking you to call the doctor for appt.s etc.  Sometimes although they are grown men, we have to treat them like children.  Good luck to you.
Helpful - 0
I think you know that a heart attack can happen and your husband does too. But, he is only 67 and dealing with constant episodes of pain and unable to function then he has probable anxiety and depression. He has the right to choose not to seek cardiac care BUT he is not at the point of making that decision appropriate IF he is not considering all his medical options which could be simple medication changes or additional medications. After a cardiac assessment he still has the right to choose. I hope he has simple nitro on hand and that you are ready to call 911 when he needs emergent attention. It would be simpler, less costly, calmer and more effective to get a cardiac eval very SOON. In the meantime keep him still, and quiet. Good luck and best wishes for him and you in making this decision.
Helpful - 0
Okay we have been to cardiologist - on scan heart is fine - on treadmill and ecg - was okay but had to stop short as pain started to get worse - he was given a spray under his tongue for the pain and he also got nausea while on the treadmill - the pain then went- The doctor now is going to do a angiogram to rule the heart out and  that this is not perhaps a small artery/vein that is blocked.The doc said the fact that the pain goes when taking disprin and that on any physical movement the pain gets worse that this does point to the heart but he cannot be sure. If they find a blockage then they are going to put a balloon through the artery to clear the blockage.My husband is now okay about going for a angiogram tomorrow and says he now wants help he cannot carry on the way he is.When he rests he has no pain at all and its only on movement - surely with a heart attack you would have continous pain and not just on movement
Helpful - 0

My Husband had angiogram found blockage in artery in the heart - so inserted a stent - he is okay but still in hospital in the cardiac icu for observation should be discharged tomorrow -- waiting for blood tests as well.He says he already feels better i hope this has opened his eyes now and will look after his heart now.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Community