Heart Disease Forum

heart murmur/palpitations

Hey,

A few days ago I was diagnosed with a heart murmur. I am waiting for further testing to see if it is a valve problem, or an innocent murmur. I am very scared! I have had palpitations for years, they are usually after exercise, but sometimes also at rest. I do sometimes get a rapid heart rate too where I feel a little more winded doing things (also has happened for awhile). I know many heart murmurs are harmless and that they don't cause symptoms. Is the fact that I have palpitations and rapid heart beats sometimes almost a guarantee of a valve problem, or some other heart problem?
Does anyone have these symptoms and have a healthy heart? I'm very nervous. I walk my dog everyday and I'm only about 10 pounds overweight. I am 24 years old.
I had a chest xray in march which came back normal (if that means anything)
Thank you
Hey Emanne88,

Unfortunately the amount of information that you have provided is not sufficient to come to conclusions.
From what I can understand, you have had palpitations for quite some time which may or may not be related to exertion and recently you have been found to have a murmur.
These two things may be completely unrelated. Most murmurs in a young individual are benign and your issue of palpitations may be something completely unrelated.
What you need at this point is a consultation with a cardiologist who will probably order an echocardiogram to have a better look at the valves.

Hope that helps

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.