Heart Disease Forum

heart murmur

I have heart palpitations and sinus tach.  My doctor says I am fine.  I had an echo and 24 hour a little over a year ago the 24 hour said "mostly normal monitor with exception of PVC's and sinus tach that may be during driving or precipitated by excercise"  the echo said "EF at 58% with slight mitral regurgitation some not visable".  While at the doctors the other day when he had me squeeze my hands he said he heard a slight murmur while straining(he did a EKG that showed no significant changes)  I am 34, cholesterol 147, I walk/jog 30 minutes a day and lift weights and do push ups squats and such every other day, 5'9" 168 lbs, have aunt with a pacemaker and 2 uncles had heart problems later in life and a grandfather who had heart problems but did not die from it.  Mother died of stroke,father still alive no problems, all siblings healthy(5)
1.  Does the echo and heart monitor sound normal?
2.  Is a heart murmur dangerous and considered a abnormality that with my palps may cause sudden cardiac death?
3.  If the heart has slight murmur while straining should I stop lifting weights and push ups and squats?
4.  Can I live normally like ride rollar coasters and all that or am I limited?
5.  Is there anything I can do to help with the palps and with the heart murmur does it make them more serious?
6.  Does a heart murmur shorten life span?
7.  If some of the heart was not visable could there be a serious defect that they missed?
8.  I am on Atenenol 12.5mg I was on 25mg but now cut in half, is it OK to cut in half and is it safe to go off of them or will that be bad?
Hi Blan,

1. Does the echo and heart monitor sound normal?

yes it sounds pretty normal.

2. Is a heart murmur dangerous and considered a abnormality that with my palps may cause sudden cardiac death?

No.  It sounds like your murmur is pretty mininal anyway.

3. If the heart has slight murmur while straining should I stop lifting weights and push ups and squats?

No.  Moderation with everything is best.  I would encourage more aerobic exercise over weight lifting anyway, but it should not be dangerous.

4. Can I live normally like ride rollar coasters and all that or am I limited?

Nothing you mentioned above involves any limits.

5. Is there anything I can do to help with the palps and with the heart murmur does it make them more serious?

The only thing that makes it more dangerous or harmfull is now you know it is there and you may spend more time thinking about it than you should -- little humor there.  No, I would not worry about this.

6. Does a heart murmur shorten life span?

I benign murmur like the one you described with a normal echo does not affect life expectancy.

7. If some of the heart was not visable could there be a serious defect that they missed?

Very unlikely.   Obviously it is difficult to comment without seeing the quality of the study.

8. I am on Atenenol 12.5mg I was on 25mg but now cut in half, is it OK to cut in half and is it safe to go off of them or will that be bad?

It is safe to stop it.

I hope this helps.  Good luck.

In all likelyhood, you're good to go to do anything you want.  It is like when someone has a birthmark.  It is not normal, but it doesn't really affect anything.
Hi echotech... in your experience would you say that if a person had an echo and gave an ef of say 63 percent and that person was nervous would the fact that your heart was beating a little harder than normal affect the test results?? when during the test is the ef taken.... at first or toward the end of the test.... what im saying is could your ef be really low say below 50 and the fact you were nervous bring it to above say 60???
IGNORE all comments from ECHOTECH even though I asked him for his personal opinion on a LVH. He only seeks attention regardless of his status or qualifications and he should be cautioned by those that monitor this forum, others have been banned from this forum for much less info than he provides.
Hi. For three months I have had a rising heart rate on lying down and a flow murmur heard in my back and above my left nipple. After seeing ten docs in two walk-in clinics (one in Canada; another in the UK where I live at the moment), two cardiologists and having an ECHO and two stress tests I was almost laughed at by the first Cardiologist (he told me to take some B vitamins), nobody could actually hear anything on auscultation. I started hearing the murmur in late April. During March and April I had symptoms which I thought were sleep apnea (chilled legs on waking, feeling suffocated on waking) which I had had about 9 years ago and found were related to a dust/dust mite allergy in the place I was living in. I had also been using a 'penis enlarger' for several months (not because i wanted to be 'bigger' per se but as a substitute for sex) for about six months. It was a 14 oz glass jar which I sealed with cream (it fell off most of the time). I kept this on most nights and I believe this weakened my mitral valve or aggravated it...but none of the doctors I have shared this with (all of them) thought the 'enlarger' would have done anything.  

My ECHO in early July or late June (I was forced to pay for it privately, not having insurannce...as my UK doc is treating me for anxiety/depression and is very reluctant to order any tests etc.) was apparently normal but showed trivial mitral regurg.

The stress tests were good and I have had two Holters: a 48 hour one in Canada in June and a 24-hour one here in the UK (results yesterday). The Holters were both apparently normal; the UK one shows occasional sinus arrythmias (I get these mainly when sleeping and usually only when I am lying on my left or right side).

When attempting to sleep in my flat, my symptoms  get much worse(tingling in left foot; numb right thigh -- for two months but numbness goes away if i cross my legs; 'vibrating heart' which feels like palps but seems to definitely be a vibration/wobble, which I believe is due to the mitral reflux) so i have been imposing on a friend and sleeping at his place for some weeks now...this MAY be due to the fact the landlord drycleaned the place (curtains, bedspread; and carpet) and perhaps i am (unknowingly) allergic to the dryvleaning chemicals...

The docs in both Canada and the UK have for the most part (including the Harley Street specialists) treated my symptoms as either completely imaginary or else stress-related.

Physically I feel better now than I did some months ago but I fear my heart is being damaged. First of all, because nobody is treating my reflux as possibly progressive; and second, because I was given Zoloft and Lorazepam and these drugs may have hurt my heart (I believe Zoloft is cardio toxic). I am very worried and frightened because I do not want any surgery for a mitral valve unless it's absolutely necessary due to the risks.

After three months chasing the doctors who were (in large part) ignoring me, I went yesterday and a local locum 'suddenly' discovered that she could hear a 'loud systolic murmur' and promptly prescribed Beta Blockers...i have started on these and they are definitely helping lowering my heart rate and my anxiety....yet i am afraid i may have damaged my heart and will need a valve repair or replacement at some point.

How can I be certain that my mitral valve will not fail or is not weakening my other valves? From all the tests I have had, I am supposed to be OK. I have started back to work (part-time) but it seems the docs are not interested in preventative medicine but rather in after-the-fact medicine...i am sure that i am having more than palps....i am planning to stop taking the Zoloft (down to 50 mg now) but would stay on the BBs unless I can get off them too.

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.