Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Disease Community
20.2k Members

hiatal hernia??

I had a heart attack feb 2010 and for the past year have taken aspirin,plavix,antenlol,statin and pepcid. I understand taking meds for heart but why am I taking pepcid? Around Nov 2010 a lump formed in the center of my sternum which I believe may be a hiatal hernia.My question is -If I didnt have acid reflux why was I put on the pepcid and why am I still taking it?
6 Responses
63984 tn?1385437939
This is strictly a guess, but the symptom of a heart attack and issues with GERD are difficult to determine.  Those of us who have/had both can attest that it is very difficult to sort out these symptoms.  I'm betting that because you have problems with both angina and GERD they want to eliminate diagnostic issues by keeping the GERD issue at bay.  
976897 tn?1379167602
I'm confused about your self diagnosis of a hiatal hernia?  This is usually picked up on an x-ray or endoscopy, but I can't see how the stomach would find its way up in front of the sternum bone?  
i really dont know what it is  a lump the size of a silver dollar appeared right under the bra strap every time i look it up on the internet it shows hiatal hernia but it doesnt hurt per say but i have periods of feeling sick  this occurs when i eat alot at one time and when i lay down to sleep i have made an appointment with the dr but its over a month away
976897 tn?1379167602
Maybe you could ask your Doctor if it's your xiphoid process. Usually this happens between the ages of 15-29 but some can be later. Part of the sternum is cartilage but when you reach a certain age, it fuses to the rest of the sternum and hardens. Sometimes this fusing causes a lump to form. This is why you have to be careful giving CPR in applying the pressure. The cartilage that hardens is the shape of a blade and can break off, stabbing the heart.
Maybe have a read on the internet about the xiphoid process and see what you think?
thank you ed34 never occured to me that it may be xiphoid process and yes i will discuss it with my doctor
976897 tn?1379167602
fingers crossed
Have an Answer?
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1538180937
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1506080564
Netherlands
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.