Heart Disease Forum

hoodia and blood pressure

I'd like to use hoodia gordonii supplements for weight loss and am wondering if it affects blood pressure OR has interactions with blood pressure meds. I take 50 mg of Toprol XL and 25 mg of hydrocholorthorazide. Would this supplement be a dangerous addition?
booken,

There are a lot of supplements out that that claim to have various beneficial effects. I typically do not recommend that patients take them as there is no data stating  beneficial effects. This especially goes for patients taking prescription medications as the likelyhood for interaction increases.

Typically weight loss with fad diets or supplements tends to be short lived and weight gain increases on the rebound. I would look more into lifestyle modification programs to achieve your more permanent goals.  

good luck
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.