A
A
A
Close
Heart Disease Community
20.2k Members
503418 tn?1231098736

is this heart pain???

hello. can anyone tell me if acute pain felt in the left of chest with no other symptoms
can indicate heart problem ? last night i woke up with pains in the far left side of my
breast but which soon passed and again today i have had this pain (doesn't last and
doesn't affect me in any other way). i've normal to low bp, good heart rate and no history
of heart disease except i have hashimotos and mild mvp with mild mitral insufficiency which
checked last year

i would like to mention that i go about everywhere on foot ,climb stairs everyday
and it never happens.

thanks in advance
2 Responses
I really am not sure if that would indicate a heart problem...I can tell you from my experience after having a heart attack...That for me the pain was so severe, and wasn't just on one side...It was more like an elephant standing on my chest, and i couldn't breath..the pain was constant..I would go see your cardiologist just to be sure..good luck ...
159619 tn?1538180937
COMMUNITY LEADER
The pain of myocardial infarction is typically substernal, diffuse, with a squeezing or pressure quality. It may radiate to the neck or jaw, shoulders, or arms. Most often, the pain is accompanied by additional symptoms, such as lightheadedness, nausea or vomiting, diaphoresis, or shortness of breath.
      The symptoms of myocardial infarction last longer than 15 minutes, and do not respond completely to nitroglycerin. The duration of the pain is variable. Pain may resolve completely after a few hours, or may persist for over 24 hours.

The physical exam usually shows the patient to be pale or grayish. Diaphoresis is often present. The MI victim often has a hard-to-define expression suggesting illness, anxiety, and pain. Pulse rate may be normal, but often bradycardia is present in inferior infarction. Tachycardia is often seen with large infarctions, and may be a bad prognostic sign. Blood pressure is often elevated.

Angina is typically a substernal pressure lasting five to 15 minutes. Most of the time, it will be accompanied by radiation to the jaw, neck, shoulders, or arms. Angina is less likely to have the symptoms often associated with myocardial infarction: sweats, nausea, and shortness of breath. Angina occurs when myocardium becomes ischemic — not enough blood comes through narrowed coronary arteries to meet myocardial needs. This can happen when there is increased demand for oxygen such as during exercise, or decreased supply such as hypotension or anemia. Variant angina occurs due to coronary artery spasm alone.

Anginal pain is not typically affected by respiration or by position, although most patients with angina prefer to sit up. Patients with stable angina will have pain after a predictable amount of exertion, and have identical symptoms with each attack.

I don't think what you experienced sounds cardiac related, but I'm not a doctor and I think that all chest pain should be checked out by a doctor to be safe.

Hope this helps,

Jon
Have an Answer?
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1538180937
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1506080564
Netherlands
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.