Heart Disease Forum

mech heart valve gradient

what is the normal heart valve gradient for a st. judes aortic valve. the mm was 27. have noticed a thumping instead of a click from time to time. please let me know if possible.
A normal peak aortic valve gradient is usually less than 25mm.  This is typically obtained via echocardiogram using the Bernoulli equation [Gradient = 4(velocity)² mmHg].  27 may be mildly elevated but certainly not too concerning.

I'm not sure what the thumping sound you heard was, but if your click is audible and suddenly stops being audible, there could be clot or fibrous tissue on your valve which can plug it up.  This is usually accompanied by symptoms of severe shortness of breath and chest pain.  It sounds as if your valve is working relatively appropriately.

Best of luck.

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.