Heart Disease Forum

palpitations when laying down

Could you please tell me the heart has to adjust in any way when you go from standing to laying down?  I have noticed that when I am busy doing things and then go to lay down my heart seems to have to adjust itself and I feel it sort of skip or beat harder every three or four beats.  This happens until I stand up again.  Why would my heart be doing this?  I do have palpitations throughout the day that I notice (maybe 3 or 4), but I really don't like these ones when I lay down.  Thank you for your time.
The heart rate is often slower when lying down. This may make your palpitations more noticeable. There is no particular remedy for this, other than the standard sort of treatment for palpitations, such as beta-blocker medications
Hi Sue,
Yes this has happened to me under the same conditions. Do you find that when this happens your chest feels like its got a big bubble of air in it that feels like its coming up to your throat and you have to take a deep breath untill the choking swelling sensation subsides, usually a couple of seconds. And also your heart skips beats and you feel horrible? Sometimes if you suffer from SVT's this can start them off...........................................................
ALSO.. ON THIS SITE I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY MENTION OF A CARDIAC REVERSION DRUG GIVEN VIA INJECTION TO REVERT THE HEARTRATE BACK TO SINUS RHYTHM..IT IS CALLED 'ADENOSINE' OR ADENOCARB'. IN AUSTRALIA THE DOCTORS ARE ADMINISTERING THIS TO PATIENTS IN HOSPITAL THAT COME IN WITH SVT'S. IS THIS MEDICATION BEING USED IN THE UNITED STATES?????AND HAS ANYONE HAD IT BEFORE....
I HAVE HAD IT MANY A TIMES AND WOULD LIKE TO COMPARE MY EXPERIENCES WITH THIS DRUG AND ITS REACTIONS ON ME COMPARED TO OTHER PEOPLE... THANKS KIND REGARDS HELEN...
Helen, I have also been admitted into the ER for SVTs and given adenosine. It is a very successful drug here in the states. I haven't had an episode that required external conversion for many years, so I didn't even know it existed. I have been on 50 mil of atenolol twice daily since. They want me to do an EP study and ablation, I haven't quite decided yet, though. My SVTs are usually between 180-235 bpm but they are easily controlled with meds. I don't like they side effects I sometimes get, but I am a little scared of the surgery. Anybody have any advice?
I too notice my heart skipping more when I lay down.  Usually when I first lie down or when I first wake up.  It tends to happen more when I lie on my back.  And if I take a deep breath sometimes the early beats will come in pairs or in triplets.  I hate it.  It seems that if I turn over or stand up, they go away.
I've been told not to worry but it really is annoying and uncomfortable.
This has been one of my complaints for such a long time.
Sometimes I go all day with no pvc/pac's and then as soon as I lie down at night time or sometimes even just leaning comfortably to one side they start.
Sometimes when I lie on my side they actually won't stop until I roll over or sit up.
It's scary to be able to "control" them this way.  
There have been several questions to this forum regarding this weird thing but no-one has ever given a reasonable, scientific answer!!  Does anyone else have the same thing.  Some nights it gets so bad I actually have to sleep propped up and then wake up with a sore stiff neck!!  I really need some answers here - I live in Australia so can never post a question direct to the doctors on this site - the post is always full before I can get to it.  
Susan
I seem to have the PVC's / PAC's more often when I lie down as well, quite similar to Jodie. It happens that they stop when I am turning myself as well. If you want to hear it, I can send you audio records I did of my own heartbeats, including PVC's / PAC's or a slight tachycardia. E-mail to ***@****
I'd like to hear comments from people having the same problem !
Loren
I have to go to sleep on my right side or I will have thumps and bumps all night if I lie on my back or especially on my left hand side.  If someone has a good explanation please inform.
I too suffer from PVCs.   I've had all the std tests, EKG, holter monitor, heart scan and the cardiologists say there's nothing wrong.  Yet, as Susan and others have mentioned, these still happen, especially at night.  I too have found that lying on one side or another can make them worse.  Lying on my back, or sitting up does seem to help. I've spent more than 1 night propped in a chair trying to sleep.  I'm on 150mg Atenolol a day, but it doesn't really seem to help much.   I don't get any elevated heart rate, just the PVCs.    In the research I've done so far, it seems like a large majority of folks suffering from whatever this is are female.  I wonder why that is?  Could hormones play a factor?      I've also noticed that bending over can cause them to start in.  odd.      I'd love to find a good explanation as to what causes these things.
I get PVCs especially when I have acid reflux.  They are worse when laying down.  I also have SVT which I "convert" by laying flat.  I rarely have to go to the hospital to have the SVT converted.  I cannot have an ablation because of where my SVT originates (I had an EP study to determine this).  During the past year I've developed clinical depression which is adding to my stress with my heart trouble.  I am a college professor and am still working.  I also think that hormones are a factor as I am 44.  I'm so discouraged I don't know what to do.  My life is falling apart.  I can't take antidepressants because they all start my SVT.  I take Xanax for anxiety, Sectral for the SVT, and Aciphex for the acid reflux.  I don't know if these drugs are compatible or are contributing to my depression or what.  I would appreciate anyone who like to share info regarding PVCs, SVT, acid reflux, depression, and anxiety to e-mail me at ***@****

God Bless.
Reading over these posts I noticed a lot of similar things.  I too experience PVCs that are benign, according to my cardiologist.  I am a healthy 30 yr old mom, and find I have palps when under stress/exhaustion.  I notice them most when laying down.  I have no advice to give, just thought I'd let you know there is another person out here going through the same thing.  They are scary, but I have found the frequency of palps is very cyclical.  I get them more from the time of ovulation til my period begins, also.  I think hormones do play a part.
I too have the same laundry list of problems with heart beats.  My heart seems to beat weird when I lay down, only since pregnacy and now continuing 8 months after birth.  My only solution has been to sleep with 3 pillows propped up.  It sucks but it resolves it.
Its amazing that so many heart patients have the same symptoms, yet there has been no believable medical explanations from the Cleveland Clinic!

I see my symptoms in many of the posts here and would like to contribute my experience and solutions to the PVC problem.

I had a CABG May 1999 (8 grafts).  For several months after surgery I had bigiminey (weak heatbeat every other beat) which in effect shut me down.  I don't have this problem anymore.  I still have some PVCs, but they have been greatly reduced.  I still have an irregurlar heartbeat when I lay down to go to sleep.  This stops if I lay on my right side.

What I have found that works:

1. My thyroid was overactive.  TSP <0.03.  I take Tapazole to control this.  Now I am slightly underactive (TSP ~ 7) and the bigiminey stopped and the PCVs were reduced substantially.

2. I avoid ALL alcohol and caffiene.  Whenever I get thirsty for a beer and give in, I have some additional PCVs.

3. I take a small dose of beta blocker which slows my pulse to around 60.  This seems to help reduce the PCVs.

I do aerobic exercise 3 X a week for an hour.  I don't think this helps to reduce PCVs, but it helps to make you feel better.

The docs all tell you not to worry, the PCVs are not a big problem.  But we who have them know --- they are a problem.

I hope these observations help.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.