Heart Disease Forum

palps and menopause

I have had palps since I was 20. I am now 49. The palps used to be every once in a great while but since entering perimenopause at age 43 they have been quite frequent and very scary. These things are affecting my life in a very negative way. I have read lots of books on menopause that say there is a correlation with increased palpitations and menopause. One thing I read even said that palps are a variant of a hot flash...a vasomotor reaction to fluctuating hormones. But I have read other things where drs. say there is no relationship whatsoever. I have been to the ER more times than I can count and the dr. always says they are benign PVC's and not to worry about them. Hard not to on the days where I am having several an hour day and night. So I guess I am wondering what to believe at this point. Can fluctuating hormones at menopause cause PVC's? Also I am wondering if I need more follow-up. I have had a holter done and they saw nothing concerning, just benign palps. I have never had an echo done...should this be done? I do have high blood pressure which has been sucessfully controlled with Maxide. I have been on this medication for over 10 years. I think the dr. thinks that anixety issues are my problem and he is right...palps make me very anxious indeed. Thanks for taking my question and I look forward to your reply...

Tina
flip-flop

thanks for the post.

A lot of women note fluctuations in their palpitations associated with various points in thier hormonal cycles.  I think that we see enough of this to say that its more than a casual observation.

Generally, a holter looks at the rhythm. If you have frequent PVCs or continued symptoms then an echo would help rule out structural problems that are a cause. I would imagine that there isn't too much wrong if youve had your symptoms this long.

good luck
I know what you mean about those palps......I am 53 and have had them for over 5 yr.  I have been to ER so many times, they now turn my bed down for me & put a piece of candy on the pillow.  I, too, was told by many physicians that it is perimenopausal related after having numerous EKG's & holter monitors.  The flip-flops & skipped beats have toned down, however, I have the actue awareness of the heart beat at night and when sitting still that can drive me crazy.  A good site to go to that has a bulletin board, where women write in with their experiences with palpitations & other perimenopausal concerns is:  http://www.power-surge.com/.  Some times these palps can really give you high anxiety, even after you have been thoroughly checked out. It can be comforting to read about how others deal with this.  I miss the times when my heart would just do its thing and I was totally unaware of it.
I too have developed what I call a "chaotic pulse".  There is no pattern to the abnormal rhythm - 8 beats, one skipped, 8 beats, one skipped, 4 beats, 1 skipped....... funny, that during exercise, the rhythm is normal. No chest pain and no other symptoms.  I am petrified - how can I get the normal rhythm back?  Can anyone tell me what I am dealing with?
It is very fustrating to have these irregular beats.Ive had them
for nine years now,I am going to be 42 this month. Ive had all
the test and all normal. They have caught the pvc,and pac on
test,but not all my different irregular beat episodes so it makes you think there missing something.Now I just try to relax
and breathe nice and slow and not let anxiety take hold or fear
fill my head.In the last two years of my world of palps. they seem to have changed to more pvcs where you get the feeling of
a skipped beat then just a extra beat.Does not feel good when
you get a cluster of these in a row. My ekg is even reading
abnormal T wave but they say ok its normal,then why does the
print out read abnormal? But I have to trust them. If they were
to give out wrong info. they would be in big trouble.They also
say everybody has them some just dont feel them. I truly dont get that but maybe true. I have six children ,started getting the palps. after fourth baby was born.So yes I have had two pregnancies with these darn things but so worth it.Dont let fear
stop you from living,press on .Beleive me I know how scary they
are. I too have been to ER many times last time they admitted me
to the cardiac floor.Dont ever want to do that again started pumping me full of stuff like blood thinners in the tummy and blood test after blood test and all other cardiac test.I thought for sure Id never get out kept me three days.I found out later it was a hospital that specializes in cardio.Then on the third day a nurse comes in and says pack your stuff your fine,No doc came in to go over my test had to wait for docs appt.Hang in there make sure you are checked out and then try not to let it control you.
God Bless All
another comment - I'm 54; is there a possibility that the normal heart rhythm will one day return?
What does benign mean in relation to these irregular beats?
Thank you.
I think there is so many things that can increase palpitations,
its hard to put a finger on it. I do notice that if I eat a
large meal and get a full feeling it will cause any of my palps
to actually hurt when I get them.I assume its from the stomach
pressure.So now I try to only eat smaller meals.

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.