Heart Disease Community

stopping toprol xl

My BP wasn't very high 120/60 at one of my dr. visits so I was put on Toprol Xl (and generic when available) to help with anxiety.  I eat healthy (teach nutrition) and am physically active.  I've noticed that I am gaining weight in my midsection.  (not really showing that much on the scale but can really see it in the mirror and pants are getting too snug.)  The only thing that has changed over the past year has been the addition of the Toprol.  I want to get off of it.  Do I need to wean it slowly?  I've been reading some of the posts on here and it is making me very worried about the side effects from stopping it.  I am on a low dose...25mg/day.

some people have zero problem with stopping it quickly, but it's not worth the risk

tapering should insure that you have no problem, especially from only 25 mg. Take your blood pressure regularly and if you don't spike, then no problem :)

naturally you want to keep your doctor informed on what you're doing