Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Disease Community
20.1k Members

tachycardia while pregnant

I took Toprol XL 50 mg while I was pregnant.  I was having syncope with heartrate going up to 180's.  I wore a 24 holter monitor, was in the hospital several times during pregnancy and this continued until he was born.  After he was born he had low blood sugar, he couldn't hold his body temperature, he was having trouble breathing and he failed his newborn hearing test both times.  He has been in and out of every dr's office known to man.  He also attends speech and occupational therapy at this point due to a seizure disorder.  My concern is.... Is there a link between the medicine and his medical problems?  My other child is completely fine, I didn't have any problems while pregnant and took no medicine at all.
1 Responses
=/ I'm not a doctor, nor do I know ANYTHING, but I was told that Toprol was the only medicine I could take while I was pregnant. They wouldn't let me take any other beta-blocker because I was told that Toprol is the only one that is "proven safe" during pregnancy. I hope your son is okay :)
Have an Answer?
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1538184537
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1506084164
Netherlands
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.