Heart Disease Community

tests

I have pvs'c.. I know after 40 yrs of them, what they are, and what they feel like and what brings them on.  I live with so much anxiety.  I have panic attacks all the time.. Stress is with me all the time.  I am short of breath when I walk or exert myself. I have asthma    too so being overweight too, its hard to tell what makes me feel so short of breath?  SO I have had 2 EKG'S, ECHO W/contrast, I wore a holter and had bloodwork so far.  All is good.  It showed I had 50 Pvc's in 24 hrs.  And I have mild mitral prolaspe.  But my DR. said it looked good.  But they want me to follow with the rest of the testing just to be safe.. Because I HAVE very bad knees, and a neck injury they want me to do a pet scan.... make my heart race, and watch it? take pictures?  is this safe..?
50 PVC s in 24 hour? That is not very much at all. Many people have over 1000 in 24 hours included me but  I don’t even notice them only very occasionally and if I do just simply don’t let them  to bother me . It is what it is. I feel sorry for people with panic attacks. They are making their body ill with always worrying. Tell yourself you worth more than that!  LOVE YOURSELF! I wish people with panic attach they were all get up from their chair and would do lots of exercise. I wish it for you also. Also have fun, be happy whatever is making you happy. Do not feel sorry for yourself. Because all that goes around and around. Every day a new one and it is totally up to you if good one or bad one.
You worry about what is safe? Well that is fine, but only if you do something about the things you are worrying about. Being overweight IS one thing that is not safe, I am sure you know that. So do you do something about it? Many people saying: “I am working on it”, it is not enough, to say and do a little, chose physical activity that you enjoy full heartedly and stick with it on a long term.
Is that hard? Yes. But we all do it for ourselves. No doctors or supporters can do it for us.
Best wish.
Hi there,

I don't agree with "Vienna" that doing exercise will help someone from being anxious and getting panic attacks.  I understand what she is telling you - that the seritonin that you get from exercise will help, but It is not that simple if you have other physical problems.

It is good that you had some heart tests done and that it was normal.  PVC's and PAC's and mitral valve prolapse are all very common findings and nothing to worry about.  Knowing this can reassure you that your heart is fine and that alone will make you less anxious.

It is not easy to exercise while you are short of breath and have weak knees and a troubled neck.  So again, nothing to worry about and nothing to be anxious about.

I wouldn't go for any further tests at this stage.  What I would advice you to do is to control the thing that IS in your control:

Loose weight.  Make the decision to go and see a Dietician or get yourself on a healthy eating plan by eating 5-6 small meals a day and make good food choices.  Then you can gradually start walking with your dog or do exercises at home, until you are fit enough and feel better and can get more active and even join a gym class.

Your knees, shortness of breath and asthma and overall health will benefit from it and improve.

It would be a good idea to get a follow-up Cardio check-up in about 6 months time, after you have lost some weight and did a bit of exercise.  Then you can also get a referral to a Orthopaedic Surgeon and maybe get an MRI on your neck, let him look at your knees if it is still a problem.

All the best and let us know how you are doing.
Well "Smiley" exercise is more important for people with panic attack as one would think. But you always welcome to disagree.
There is a great exercise for you from anxietycoach com.

I will copy the whole thing here if the link wont work.
Hope it help! I think it is excellent.

A Breathing Exercise
to Calm Panic Attacks
Here's a simple breathing exercise that will restore your comfortable breathing and soothe many of the physical symptoms of a panic attack.

You may have already tried deep breathing and not had much success in soothing your panic symptoms. The reason for that is that most descriptions of deep breathing leave out a critical step. I'm going to show you how to do it right.

A simple, but powerful, technique
If you have Panic Disorder or Social Phobia, this deep breathing exercise may be the single most important coping technique I can show you. It's also useful with other anxiety disorders in which the physical symptoms are less prominent, but still present. Comfortable, deep breathing is the key to relaxation. All the the traditional relaxation methods (yoga, meditation, hypnosis) place a central emphasis on breathing.
I can't catch my breath!
Feeling like "I can't catch my breath!" is probably the most common of all panic symptoms. Your breathing feels labored, you strain to take a deep breath, you fear you're not going to get it - and the harder you try, the worse it feels!
When you feel short of breath, it doesn't mean you're not getting enough air. In fact, people will often say "I can't catch my breath", and this shows that they're getting air, because we talk by making air vibrate. If you're talking, you're breathing! It's not a dangerous symptom.

But it does get people very scared, and it produces other uncomfortable physical symptoms, so it's worth your while to be able to correct it.

You've probably already had it told to you, and you've probably also read it as well, that what you need to do is "take a deep breath". If you're like most people, that advice hasn't helped you much. It's good advice, but it's incomplete. It doesn't tell you how to take a deep breath. A good breathing exercise should tell you how to take a deep breath, and that's what I'm going to do.

Here's the Key
When you feel like you can't catch your breath, it's because you forgot to do something.
You forgot to exhale.

That's right. Before you can take a deep breath, you have to give one away. Why? Because, when you've been breathing in a short, shallow manner (from your chest), if you try and take a deep inhale, you just can't do it. All you can do is take a more labored, shallow breath from your chest. That will give you all the air you need, but it won't feel good.

Go ahead, try that now and see what I mean. Put one hand on your chest, the other on your belly. Breathe very shallowly from your chest a few times, then try to take a deep breath. I think you'll find that, when you inhale, you use your chest muscles, rather than your diaphragm, or belly.

When you breathe in this shallow manner, you get all the air you need to live, but you can also get other symptoms which add to your panic.

You get chest pain or heaviness, because you've tightened the muscles of your chest to an uncomfortable degree. (The chest pain people feel in a panic attack isn't from the heart, it's from the muscles of the chest). You feel lightheaded or dizzy, because shallow breathing can produce the same sensations as hyperventilation. You also get a more rapid heartbeat, and maybe numbness or tingling in the extremities as well.

All from breathing short and shallow!

One of the very first things I ask my patients with panic disorder to do is to learn and practice belly breathing. I recommend it to you as well. Here's the breathing exercise.

Belly Breathing Exercise
1. Place one hand just above your belt line, and the other on your chest, right over the breastbone. You can use your hands as a simple biofeedback device. Your hands will tell you what part of your body, and what muscles, you are using to breathe.
2. Open your mouth and gently sigh, as if someone had just told you something really annoying. As you do, let your shoulders and the muscles of your upper body relax, down, with the exhale. The point of the sigh is not to completely empty your lungs. It's just to relax the muscles of your upper body.

3. Close your mouth and pause for a few seconds.

4. Keep your mouth closed and inhale slowly through your nose by pushing your stomach out. The movement of your stomach precedes the inhalation by just the tiniest fraction of a second, because it's this motion which is pulling the air in. When you've inhaled as much air as you can comfortably (without throwing your upper body into it), just stop. You're finished with that inhale.

5. Pause. How long? You decide. I'm not going to give you a specific count, because everybody counts at a different rate, and everybody has different size lungs. Pause briefly for whatever time feels comfortable. However, be aware that when you breathe this way, you are taking larger breaths than you're used to. For this reason, it's necessary to breathe more slowly than you're used to. If you breathe at the same rate you use with your small, shallow breaths, you will probably feel a little lightheaded from over breathing, and it might make you yawn. Neither is harmful. They're just signals to slow down. Follow them!

6. Open your mouth. Exhale through your mouth by pulling your belly in.

7. Pause.

8. Continue with Steps 4-7.

Many people find it easier to learn from watching a demonstration, rather than just reading a set of instructions. So here is a video I have on my YouTube account which explains and demonstrates the belly breathing exercise. If you like, have a look at the video before doing the practice.

http://www.anxietycoach.com/breathingexercise.html

I'd have the test.  Given the fact that you don't have a good history of exercise and are overweight, it would be very valuable to establish a baseline to compare your heart health with other possible/probable problems as you age.  The Pet scan is minimally invasive and a very safe procedure.  

The word 'mild' mitral valve prolapse must comfort you, as that means, I think, you are normal.  I have moderate mitral valve prolapse and get about very well, most of the population has a little leakage.  I average about  75 pvc's an hour with no repercussions, and I have a pacemaker and have had bypass surgery.  Given the tests you have already had, a stress test seems reasonable to determine if your arteries are clean.  If they are, your breathlessness is probably a conditioning issue.

Keep us informed.
I will have the test.  I shouldn't read so much on the internet.  Its a good resource and sometimes not so good.  I read the risks of this test.  But like my Dr. said, the risks are so low, and the risks of not knowing whats causing my issues could be worse..  When I have my PVC'S somedays, they roll one after another.  I get short of breath from them.  The holter showed a minimal of them.  I was amazingly having a good day when I wore it.  I have severe anxiety that consumes my whole day.. moreso than my pvc's.  But the stress/anxiety brings more of them on..  I have to change my life around.. take care of myself..  thanks for the info.  I will keep u posted ...