Heart Disease Forum

tiredness after exercise; increased/rapid heart rate

I'm a 31-yr-old female, a little overweight, with normal blood pressure and bloodwork.  Recently I've been exercising -- walking and starting to lift weights.  I started out with walking about 15 minutes a day.  After I walk (and really, during my walk) I get very, very burnt out.  I'm tired, sometimes I feel dizzy, most days I need to lie down afterwards.  When I go out and just walk around to do errands or whatever, the same thing happens -- I get very tired, sometimes I feel dizzy.  This has been going on for almost three months.  The tiredness also happens after weight-lifting, although to a lesser extent (but I only do one area of the body a day, about 10 minutes max).   I've exercised aerobically before (although I had stopped for a while this past year) and usually I experience a 'lift' when I'm done -- increased energy, a sense of well-being.  Not any more.

Also, in the last couple weeks my heartrate has increased.  I've to the doctor a lot this year -- had my gallbladder out and some other things.  My resting heartrate was always good, between 70-80.  When I went last week, it was 96.  And, throughout the day, it goes up to 120 at times -- without exertion (unless you call walking to the kitchen or brushing my hair exertion).  This morning it was 130 or so -- all I did was get out of bed and go to the bathroom. Sometimes I can feel my heart pounding in my chest or legs but most of the time I can't.

I have had an ECG and a stress test done last December -- I was having atypical chest pain and they just wanted to be sure it wasn't heart-related.  Everything was normal (the pain in my chest -- above my left breast -- still comes and goes; I think it's probably muscular).   The pain is not brought on by exertion -- that's why I said it was atypical.

I've been trying to do some research on my own but it's hard. My doctor's advice was to walk only three times a week because maybe I'm pushing myself.  I don't consider 15 minutes of walking 'pushing myself'.  And definitely my quality of life is suffering -- I have consider before I go out and do something whether I'm 'up to it'.  How ridiculous!  I'm thirty, not eighty.

Any advice/information you can provide would be great.  Thanks so much for your time!
Dear Anne,

You need to listen to your doctors advice and not push yourself.  You are likely deconditioned and you may be a little over zealous with your exercise program.  Exercise at a slower pace for a little longer rather than pushing yourself to the point of exertion or exhaustion.  You will gain more in the long run and obtain better cardiovascular fitness.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.