Heart Disease Community

treatment options for ventricle diverticulum

I have had 2 separate embolic strokes within 6 months and now the professionals have discovered a closed VSD and also a ventricle diverticulum (left) where they think the clots are being developed and causing the strokes.  At present I have been put on warfarin - but have been told that this will not guarantee prevention of a further event - what other options are considered for this condition.  My faith in the coronary team is rather shaken as they did not discover the VD until after the second stroke and even wrote to me stating that there was nothing wrong with my heart to explain either why the first stroke or why i was getting chest pains about 3 weeks after the first stroke and they carried out numerous different tests including a CT angiogram.  It was following the 2nd stroke that they looked closer at the CT scan.  Any comments would be most helpful.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

A ventricular diverticulum is a rare congentinal cardiac malformation. Detection of the diverticulum may be incidental or it may be due to related symptoms like embolus, arrhythmia,  or infective endocarditis.Anticoagulants like warfarin are given to control embolic episodes and management of arrhythmias if present. If conservative therapy fails to control its symptoms the surgery is done to correct the diverticulum.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.