Heart Disease Forum

vagus nerve

during continuous stimulation of the heart by the vagus, heart rate will return to normal. how is this possible?
The vagus nerve belongs to the para-sympathetic nervous system, whose role is to slow down heart rate, and mobilize gastrointestinal motility, and other calming effects. It is the opposite to the fight or flight response, where this serves as a calming effect on various organs. The actual way this happens involves the neurotransmitter acetylcholine which has an effect of decreasing the speed of conduction of the impulse down the conduction system of the heart, as well as decreasing the frequency of impulses originating in the sinus node. Hence the heart rate decreases, and returns to normal.
So I wonder what's to be said when vagal manuevers do not return the heart to normal? I have had several episodes of tachycardia where all the classic techniques to slow the heart do not work. I am sometimes able to slow it momentarily, but as soon as I let up it races again. If you come back to this would you mind answering?
After 15 years with Atrial Fib and countless suggestions to try vagal maneuvers, I never found one to work for me.

If they don't work for you, plow ahead and find other avenues to explore. At best, I think, they are taught in Med Schools with a dash of hope and perhaps some burning of incense, but there are many more effective remedies for some persons.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.