Heart Disease Forum

what steps do I take to control palpitations

My question is: What steps can I take to control my palpitations?  I have a 12-year history of them on and off since I was 20.  I have seen 3 cardiologists during this time period and had all the tests, which were negative.  Of note, not one of my palpitations was ever "caught".  I have stopped drinking caffeine and do not drink soda.  I used to run 5 miles a day, but stopped in 2003 when these palpitations started up again.  I am going to begin slowly back to running actually today.  I eat well.  However, stress is a problem in my life.  It seems as I get older, I can't handle it as well.  So I know that needs to change.  I am trying to drink a glass of heart healthy OJ every morning and to eat more potassium-rich foods.  Do I need to take supplements and/or more magnesium?  As background info, I can have palpitations a few times a day or not one for a week or two.  I used to have one type of palpitation (the extra beat followed by a pause), but now I have two as of the last few months.  The new one I feel is like a very faint bump or click or bubble?  Almost like I need to cough.  I can't describe it.  I never notice a difference in my pulse like with the other "normal palpitation".  The old palpitation can be just one or I can have four in a row.  With the new one, it is only one, but I can have many throughout the day.  I have never had any symptoms like shortness of breath, lightheadedness, pain, or anything.  This problem is mainly annoying, but can be pretty alarming at times, which makes it all worse.  Thank you for your input.

What steps can I take to control my palpitations?

You can tell from reading the forum this a very common concern. Unfortunately, there isn't much we can do to decrease the frequency of these events.  For normal people with normal labs, taking suppliments don't help either.  Controlling stess may help decrease the intensity of the extra beats if not decrease the number of extra beats.

If you have a normal echo, ekg, and history and physical, there shouldn't be any exercise limitations for you.  I would encourage you to stay working out and stay fit.  It is always harder to get back into once your stop -- it is even harder as we get older.

I hope this helps.
I FEEL YOUR PAIN.MY HEART STARTS TO SKIP AND "BAM" I'M IN A FULL BLOWN ANXIETY ATTACK. BUT FOR ME WHEN THAT HAPPENS I GET CHEST PAIN,UPSET STOMACH.COLD HANDS AND FEET THE WHOLE 9 YARDS.AND I LOVE WHEN THEY SAY OH IT NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. I HOPE YOU CAN FIND SOME ANSWERS THAT WILL COMFORT YOU.I FEEL LIKE I'M IN LIVING HE** WHEN MINE ARE REALLY BAD.GOOD LUCK
Just to let you know I am in the same boat too, I feel for you and all of us that suffer from palps....I think the Doctors need to expierience them for awhile to really know but it is true...they are harmless...I just found out I had a heart murmur too and don't know much about those so.......
That is the million dollar question!  If anyone of us could figure out how to control them, we would be rich! LOL.  I have had them for at least 10 years, regular palps, PAC's and was just seen in the emergency room for very bad PVC's on Saturday!  I have always been told not to worry about them - but when they hit, it sends my panic through the roof.  I just found this board, and think it is a wonderful place for information and support.  Good luck to all of us!
I can relate.  I have thousands of PVC's everyday all day. Over the weekend I painted outside doors on my house.  It was very hot and humid out, they seemed to get worse.  I went in and took my blood pressure and it was 130/100.  I take two 12.5 hyazar, atenol and small dose of lasix.  I was worthless the rest of the day.  Does anyone else experience not this kind of weakness with your PVC's.  I am an admin asst. and work 40 hours a week, pretty sedetary life style but when I get home I am exhausted and hit the couch to tired to exercise.  I feel like I might have to go on disibility some day.  My quality of life just keeps on lessening.  Its so depressing.
Does anyone else experience such fatique with your PVC's and has anyone had to go on disability for them.  I would appreciate your comments
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.