Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Growing Chest Pains

When I was around the age of 12 I was attending a committee center over the summer for recreational activities and one of the mornings just before I was getting ready to sign in for attendance and go play I had a sharp pang of pain right where my heart was and I had to sit down just for it to stop. It only lasted for a rough 10 seconds or so and when I applied pressure to my chest it eased the pain until it vanished. I saw a doctor then and he said if it occurred again to come see him. It didn't happen again for another 6 months or so. Over time it has gradually gotten more frequent, more painful, and lasted longer than before. Occasionally it'll be shorter than a time or two before but just as painful. Still when I apply pressure it eases the pain but it can be excruciating at times. I am now 19 turning 20 in March of next year and just up to a month ago it was happening nearly every other day. Last night it caught me by surprise. It was several short pangs of pain rapidly increasing until I had to flip onto my stomach and apply pressure to my chest. I have signed up for an appointment to see the doctor but every time I do I physic myself out of going. If you have any ideas on what this might be even if its a shot in the dark I'd appreciate it and would go see a doctor if its serious. If it is that serious or you think it might be what type of doctor would I see? Thank you again.
3 Responses
I've had this quite a few times on same side and everything. I've had just about every test done. I was told sharp pains are normally nothing to be concerned about. I was told it waseems Gass pain due ton a lot of your abdominal cavity being so close. It comes and goes but I definitely know what you mean it will stop you right in your tracks.
Interesting and thank you. All the times that I have felt that pain its been directly over my heart and feels like its inside my chest and not closer to my skin if that makes since. Thank you for the insight again! I'm hoping to hear more from others as well.
Because of the way the wiring of the heart is set up, the general rule is that if you can touch the pain or if you can alter it by pressure or shifting position, it is NOT heart pain.

You're young.  Take a couple of classes in human anatomy and physiology and you'll get some idea of what's causing what.
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Heart Health Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.