Heart Health Community
360 Members

Tingling, skipped beats, pain, severe dizziness

Hi there,

I'm 24, female, 123 lbs on average, and exercise less than I used to. I'm posing here because I have been to my doctor and am waiting on a visit to a neurologist, but I think it might be heart/circulatory related. I'm a full time student and spend a lot of time sitting down to study.

For the past three-four years I've been having attacks where the back of my head tingles, then I get so dizzy that I can't stand. In the more severe attacks the dizziness comes from my vision flipping around, and in the mild ones my vision doesn't flip but still sort of moves? I can focus on what I'm looking directly at, but my peripheral looks a little like a cartoon. The attacks happen when I'm doing anything; standing, sleeping, sitting, etc. It has literally pulled me out of REM. The very first one was when I was moving a medium weight box. I'm posting this here because: I feel like it happens more frequently when I've been sitting cross legged more often. When I make an effort to sit with a totally straight back and not cross my legs at all, the frequency of these attacks lessens; however, they do not go away completely. Maybe heart related?

Leaning forward for more than a few minutes (ex: sitting on the floor wrapping gifts) will make me mildly dizzy/nauseous until I lay flat on my back for a while. I'm usually sitting with crossed legs in this position. Laying on my belly and propping myself up onto my elbows to read causes a similar effect after a while.

The other symptoms are listed because I think they -might- be related/helpful. Hopefully this post won't feel too messy.

Over the past year, my heart has been skipping beats every now and again. That area goes numb for a few seconds at a time when this happens. Thankfully, this happens maybe once every six months. Once in September, my heart beat so fast that I couldn't stand up and I actually called an ambulance. By the time they arrived, my BP was down to 120. They released me after a quick ER check.

For the past five months, I've been having intermittent stabbing pain on the right side of my chest. Sometimes it'll be stabbing several times a day and other times I will have no pain for a week. An x-ray was taken one month ago and nothing was found.

In July, I was working outside in the heat for hours a day. We were moving a bunch of boxes/bending/stooping a lot. I didn't have a dizzy attack or any heart issues that I noticed; however, my legs have started twitching a lot. They never used to. When it began, they would twitch in one or two places ~18 hours out of a full day. Now they only act up every few weeks, but it just goes on and on for a few days. I post this because I've read that it could have to do with the tissues not getting enough O2, and it may be related to the dizziness/legs being crossed? I notice it a lot more right after I lay down.

On a similar note, I've had occasional random stabbing pain all throughout my body for maybe 10+ years. I've asked around and the only other person that gets this is my sister.

Please let me know if I should provide more details. I've listed everything I can think of right now. I feel like it could be heart, circulatory, neurological, or spinal? I'm no where near being a doctor though.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/ideas!

Nobloom
COMMUNITY LEADER
Way to complex for any conclusion, I think from even a medical professional,which I AM NOT.

It does sound like you may have periods of low blood pressure, and perhaps low oxygen saturation. These are things you can check yourself.  For example, for low cost one can purchase a finger clip on Oximeter, gives oxygen saturation and heart rate.  I used it to determine symptoms that resulted in a sleep study and diagnosis.  The Oximeter is small enough carry around and anytime you have 30 seconds and feel faint, dizzy, after protecting yourself from falling or other accident, clip on the oximeter and take a reading, best if over 96%, bad if under 90% (these are my numbers but are near what others would say, I believe).

Occasional heart beat skip or extra is mostly normal, and mostly not noticed.  That symptom in itself doesn't raise an alarm in my mind.

Take care to avoid falling when dizziness occurs.  Take immediate action to protect yourself, e.g., sit down if you have a place.  Lowering your head by bending can stop the dizzy, but that also adds to the balance problem, do only if you have something to lean into, a solid wall works for me.
Hi there,

Thank you so much! I'll try the  Oximeter for sure. It sounds like a solid lead. I really appreciate your time. I had no idea these tests could be done at home.
I had to comment on your post. Your symptoms are so similar to mine, it's like I wrote this post. I have been to at least 5 cardiologist and 4 neurologist trying to find answers. I finally was diagnosed with autonomic neuropathy ( very rare for a healthy 32 year old ) still not sure if I even fully buy my diagnosis. Ask your neurologist about taking a ANSAR test, that is how they diagnosed me.. Best of luck to you!
Oh, interesting. How long have you been dealing with these symptoms? Please keep me updated if you find anything else out as well. I really appreciate your answer. Have you had an MRI?
Yes I had at least 3 MRI's in the past year. After the first one I was told I had Cerebellum Ataxia, after the 2nd I was told I had Chiari 1 Malformation, and after the 3rd I was told I didn't have either one. I'm very confused and have lost faith in the medical profession..
That's awful, I'm so sorry. I'll let you know if anything turns up on my end.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.